Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mattmega4

Butterwortt & nepenthis outside

mattmega4
14 years ago

I bought a Butterwort and nepenthis from lowes in those death cubes (but they arent cubes..they are cups?)

anywho i dont really have the option of putting them in my window sill or nor do i have a green house..will they survive out in full sun along with my VFT, pitcher, and sundew?

Comments (12)

• alcran
    14 years ago

The ping and nep will appreciate more shade than full sun. Try growing them lightly shaded, under a few garden plants, under a cloth, ect. You will have to acclimate, before you do any of this. Find them a really shady spot and start upping the light every few days. Water more often than you normally would, they will lose water very fast outdoors after being inside a cube.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    14 years ago

I agree and I will add that they are NOT HARDY so you'll have to bring them inside in the fall before it gets too cold.

• mattmega4
    Original Author
    14 years ago

i kind of already put the nepenthis outside in the full sun..the leaves are all messed up now..and im guessing this is burn...and on my butterwort i took the lid off of the death trap an allll the leafs basically wilted so i put the lid back on and i guess its survivng..as these are my first neps and butterworts im gona go for broke and put them both outside..and next time im at lowes ill get another two and do them properly..who knows..maybe they will somehow survive???

• hunterkiller03
    14 years ago

"mattmega4" If you put your neps and pings back inside the cubes of death with lid and place them outside to the sun. Your going to steam-cook and kill your plants guarantied.

• mattmega4
    Original Author
    14 years ago

the nep is outside in a new pot..not in the cube..and the ping is in my window sill in the death cube until i can get some free time..i wouldnt put them outside in the death cubes

• taz6122
    14 years ago

I would leave the top off the one in the window sill. Just a couple hours of full sun would cook it in a sealed container. Just set the top on without sealing it.

• petiolaris
    14 years ago

Butterworts like P. primuliflora do well at window sills and N. ventrata can be cultivated under artificial lighting. Here's a basic pictoral:

{{gwi:553231}}

{{gwi:553233}}

• mattmega4
    Original Author
    14 years ago

i was gona go to the store i work at today and get some basic shade cloth..is there a specific intensity i need to get or whatnot..obviously i dont want to get 100 shade..ill prob get a lite version?

• mattmega4
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So i'm not sure if i should 100 cover it like this
    {{gwi:553234}}
    or if i should cover it like this (until i hear back from u this is what it is)
    {{gwi:553235}}

So like i said before it was in the death cube, i took it out and put it in the full sun..and the leaves all starting turning brown..now it is in the 2nd picture shading..and the base is still green..does that mean that it is still alive..will it come back..eventually
    {{gwi:553237}}

also is this shade cloth (the nursery peeps at the store said this is ok) the right stuff?
    thanks for putting up with my newbness

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    14 years ago

You are working too hard at this! RELAX. Bright indirect Sun is fine. Very early morning and late afternoon Sun is fine.

• taz6122
    14 years ago

If you use a shade cloth put it directly over head of the plant so it doesn't get noon sun. The rest of the day is fine. And get the growth point off the ground. Put something under it so it doesn't touch the soil.

• mattmega4
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you "Taz6122"

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor