Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elvinwei

beginner wants advice about growing nepenthes and sundew

elvinwei
16 years ago

hello~ i am new to this--i have an indoor growing area for orchids and got interested in CPs. i have one ping moranensis that is doing well, and plan on getting a few nepenthes, another ping, and a drosera.

i wanted to know if my conditions are ok for these:

Drosera spatulata 'Frasier'

Nepenthes sanguinea

Nepenthes ventricosa 'Red'

Ping primaflora

i am growing under 4 T8 forescent tubes plus 2 compact florescent bulbs (the screw shape ones)

is this enough light? i do not have a light meter but my orchids are doing well

neither do i have a humidity meter, but i think it is humid enough for the orchids. if need be, i do have a small terrarium that i keep my dracula orchids in

Comments (7)

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

Hello elvinwei,

Pinguicula primuliflora would actually be easier to grow outdoors since it is a temperate perennial, but it does prefer partial sun, so artificial lights of the amount you specified would be great for them. If you could provide artificial dormancy for it, you could try to grow it indoors, but it will take extra work during winter to do so.

If you are doing well with the orchids, the Nepenthes you specified and the Spoon Leaf sundew, Drosera spatulata, would do just fine too. They really do not need high humidity, but could be grown in a terrarium if you like. Thye can all survive in regular household humidity just fine. Light is more important, which sounds good for them as well since all like partial sun, a good 6000 or so lumens that your 40 watt floros and compacts more than provide (sounds like you have about 16000 lumens with all of those lights). Just place them about 6-8 inches from the lights for good coloration and growth to occur.

• jonocross
    16 years ago

Just a side note on the humidity meter... not that I think you need one persay. I found a couple good digital ones at walmart for 5-10 bucks. Humidity, temp... and a memory feature so you can check how high or low it got over a period of time. I found one helpfull when I was starting a nep rajah and trying to figure out how I could give it the humidity it needed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aracknight's Deadly Delights

• elvinwei
    Original Author
    16 years ago

yeah, i saw the digital humidity/thermometer at Walmart too. i hate buying from them, but you are right that they sell really affordable ones, so i just might buy one there. (WalMart is an evil empire trying to take over world with its cheap plastic and sugary snacks!)

^_^ my lighting is good? music to my ears! great then.

about real sunlight, the problem is i often neglect any outdoor plants, and the room i am growing in, virtually gets no sun exposure. i live in a dark, cold dungeon
    :

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

They all grow well at sunny window sills, open tray. Those were among the first plants I bought at Lowes.

• elvinwei
    Original Author
    16 years ago

but i don't have a sunny window sill
    all the Lowes around here don't carry CPs

:

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

Strange that your Lowes doesn't have any. Should you procure Neps, you can always set up a fluorescent light over them.

• eantraylor05_gmail_com
    13 years ago

Almost all carnivorous plant can live in low humidity and if i were you i wouldn't put them in the terrarium unless you want them to shrivlle up and die in a month or two. Also the lighting you have is great for those plants and during fall and winter keep lights for about 12 hours during summer and spring keep on for about 14 hours.

Sponsored