Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
darkdes

Some bug bit my flytrap! =(

darkdes
17 years ago

some type of pest made a saw edge hole in my vft, pretty big hole to! I opened the trap and nothing was in there except the wing of a fly the trap partially caught a day agoand there was no bug to be found in the pot or on any of the other flytraps. I think it could of been a cattipiler but it seems if it was there would be more damage or either the catapiler would still be there. Any ideas of the culprit? Cause i want to nip it in the bud before it has the chance to get my white top pitcher plants

Comments (10)

• darkdes
    Original Author
    17 years ago

UPDATE! upon closer inspection of said trap i found a trail of silk like webing and a little white wormlike thing with a jet black head, it was very small. If i had thought it at the time i would have stored until my sis could take a picture for proper identifacation but in a blind rage i smushed it out of existence.

• xymox
    17 years ago

i wonder what it was.. you're lucky you haven't gotten any other pests. the biggest pests for Vfts are fvcking aphids. Grrr.. once they begin infesting your plant, they will distort EVERY single leaf if nothing is done to prevent this from happening. one of my vfts was infested with aphids. every trap and leaf it made, it was formed in a disgusting manner. i had to take out the poor little plant out of that container and media. once i remved it. i sunk the whole plant (without the pot and media) in a tupperware filled with purified water and left the plant there for 10 mins. now the plant is perking up. i repotted it into a fresh media and nothing is bugging her anymore. you should had taken a pic of the bug instead of squeezing it :l

usually slugs also leave a slimy trail on vft leaves and sarracenia leaves.. and slugs are also big threats to cp's along with caterpillars. whatever the bug is, a solution of insecticide is the best fighter against any bugs on cp's. "Orthene" is one of the best choices

• darkdes
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I do consider myself lucky i havent got aphids (yet) and this was the only pest found on my plant. it was sort of like a mini catipilar but still to small to be a catapiler. luckily i have notice several spider taking home on my flytraps so maybe they can help prevent some of the larger pest or maybe a good meal for my plant either way the spiders are ok by me

• sarraceniahunter
    17 years ago

For slugs I use a little PVC pipe cap depressed into the soil and put beer in it. The slugs seem to love beer! They fall over in there and drown. Needless to say I don't feed the pickled critters to my plants afterward!

Here is a link that might be useful: Backyard Bogs (The Natural Alternative)

• darkdes
    Original Author
    17 years ago

ARRRGH!!! some bug attacked my flytrap again! And this time it didnt even eat it just sawed a leaf off! I didnt find the culprit this time. Hopefully the baby praying mantis that made a home out of my vft pot will.

• fly_traper
    17 years ago

what if it is the praying mantis

• darkdes
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I pretty sure preying manti are carnivores. Never heard them eating plants before, unless they only do it when they are babys.

• fly_traper
    17 years ago

i thought they ate both plants and other bugs

• carnivorousplants
    16 years ago

praying mantises only eat insects.

• squim4
    16 years ago

Ok darkdes,

The first insect sounds an awful lot like a silkworm. This isnt really known to be a pest, so I doubt it will cause any harm, let alone an infestation. The sawn off leaf is the tricky part. Carnivorousplants is right, Praying mantises only eat insects. The baby will help fend off your plant from other insects (lucky you!). Im not quite sure what took off your leaf though. Was it sawed off in a straight, clean cut, or was it jagged? It could possibly be some kind of mammal, like a squirrel just curious about the taste. Ive had a bird peck a big hole in my sarracenia to get the bugs before. If this is the case, there's nothing really you can do, unless you feel like standing by your plants the whole day with a rifle.

By the way, does anybody know what impact tentworms have on cp's?Hopefully they don't eat them. Back here in pennsylvania we get them REAL bad. Over the years they've worked their way up closer...and closer...and CLOSER...to the house, leaving dying trees in their path. My carnivorous plants wont be able to take that onslaught. Our methods of irradication normally include a chainsaw gasoline, and a box of matches. (they make BIG nests). I probably wont be able to do that with my cp's.

Anyway, good luck to you, and if anyone knows if those demon worms eat cp's, let me know.

Squim4