Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elvinwei

California Carnivors

elvinwei
16 years ago

earlier in the month i asked if anyone knew of some good places to buy CPs. i got some referrals and ended up ordering some from Houston Herps for an affordable price.

THEN i find out that i live just an hour away from California Carnivores

has anyone had experience dealing with them? how are their plants? how are their prices?

good? bad?

Comments (5)

• ilbasso_74
    16 years ago

I've never dealt with them, but that is largely because of their shipping prices which seemed high to me. Their web selection seems awfully limited in the sarracenia and nepenthes departments for being the world's largest collection of CPs, but I'd imagine that their plants are top notch.

If I lived an hour away...oh my.... I'd probably need to have my mail forwarded there due to the amount of time that I'd be there.

I don't think that you'll be disappointed since you won't have to worry about shipping.

• hunterkiller03
    16 years ago

Last September I visited by accident California Carnivores while visiting relatives in Santa Rosa, I had no plans at all visiting the nursery because I didnÂt know that Peter DÂAmatos greenhouse was nearby. No clue at all and my cousin who knew I collect CP failed to tell me about it and he new of Mr. DÂAmatos nursery. Three times I passed by not realizing California Carnivores was there and I didnÂt see it until the last week. I think it was Tuesday or Wednesday when I finally discovered his greenhouse.

I met Mr. DÂAmato and his assistant, he was gracious to let me tour around his greenhouse when he is closed to the public on Tuesday & Wednesday filling out orders.

His collection is very extensive and impressive to say the least. His collection of Pinguiculas, Nepenthes, and Sarracenias and varieties, not to mention his collection of hybrids both Sarracenias and Nepenthes is astonishing and a sight to see!

IÂm sure you will be more likely to purchase some more exotic species if they are available when you visit his nursery personally. I plan to drop by again hopefully on June or July.

Some pics I took, unfortunetly I lost one of the small DVD with pics of Mr. DÂAmato and his assistant that day, along of my visit to the Monterey (I think its Monterey) Aquarium and the submerine USS Papanitos.

Here are some of the best pics.
    {{gwi:553367}}
    {{gwi:553369}}
    {{gwi:553371}}
    {{gwi:553373}}
    {{gwi:553375}}
    {{gwi:553377}}

This is my favorite, unidentified Nep hybrid enjoying his meal.
    {{gwi:553379}}

Yumm!!
    {{gwi:553381}}

And his collection of pings.
    {{gwi:553382}}
    {{gwi:553385}}
    {{gwi:553386}}
    {{gwi:553388}}
    {{gwi:553397}}

• elvinwei
    Original Author
    16 years ago

HOLEY SCHMOKES!!
    I NEED TO GO THERE RIGHT NOW!!!!

~>_i had a chance to go right up in Sebastopol on Sunday, and unknowingly i passed....not knowing about this....i'd miss my chance to be right THERE!

:

• hunterkiller03
    16 years ago

I almost missed it myself, if it hadn't taken that road on the right to skip traffic. I would've been kicking myself later on if i had. My stupid cousin said he tried to tell me about it but he kept forgetting. Nuts to him. I just got lucky.

One thing I forgot to mention earlier is that the prices of their plants looked reasonable to me. I myself think their shipping charges are fair. Also, his greenhouse is closed Tuesday or Wednesday when his working filling out mail orders.

• ilbasso_74
    16 years ago

...drool....

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting