Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Styrofoam Planters?

Posted by writer333 Zone 4 (My Page) on
Fri, May 30, 14 at 18:07

After a lengthy sabbatical from growing carnivorous plants, I decided to get back into the game: I ordered a B-52 flytrap online and am looking forward to receiving it (very much so).
I had great success in growing a Drosera regia, and I am hoping the same will be true of this plant.

But I have a question, or rather, something of a need for advice/opinions. I have heard that Styrofoam containers can/should be used as planters in many cases, mainly due to their superior insulating properties. I would like to know what anyone thinks about such a concept, particularly those of you who are experienced in growing CP's.

Thank you for your time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Styrofoam Planters?

I noticed you live in Zone 4 which suggests cooler than usual temperatures. However, I also read that you have had "great success" in earlier years with Drosera regia. Since you are a savvy grower, I don't see that you need to take any extra special steps such as styrofoam containers to protect your flytrap. A styrofoam pot would only insulate the roots and not the vegetative top, anyway. A drawback to styrofoam is its lack of durabiity and, for some, its unsightlyness.

o

Thank you for your reply. And you are correct about the cooler temps, at least during the fall and winter (though summers can reach in the very high 90's here and with higher humidity). I think I'll go with plastic for the planter.

o

They work fine. I lot of people grow stuff in those 20 oz. styrofoam cups. My VFTs are in them. Use WHITE ones, they reflect the Sun/heat.

o

I don't know, I'm kind of thinking about using plastic now, if it has better aesthetics and durability. I just heard from an online site that since foam can better insulate the roots, it can prevent them from overheating or getting too cold. I will be using pretty decent air circulation and monitoring temps and humidity, so I'm not sure how much of an issue soil temperature will be, though I have seen some sites where people were using foam coolers as large planters.

o

To me, a large styrofoam drink cup makes a very unbecoming plant container especially if it is advertising something. Also, nothing grows to its best potential in a drink cup; plants need better/more root-run space that provides a more stable root environment.

o

To me, using a styrofoam cup for a planter is downright ugly, but worse, a small container like this does not allow the plant to reach its full growth potential. Plants need more root room than a drink cup provides. A larger container/pot will simply provide a much more favorable overall environment for the plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here