Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kittiekat_gw

why won't my dew covered cp's eat?!?!

KittieKAT
9 years ago

Sooo I've been trying to feed my cape sundews and my dew thread (fliformis) and every time i toss a live ant in there dewy arms they DON'T wrap around it.....they DON'T move....i just watch the damn ant slowly but surely make its way down the end of the tentacles trailing and removing all the DEW off the tentacle. ... I've even tried to keep the ant from trying to get away by holding it in place.....still Nuttin... tried to roll its arm over the ant my self....wouldn't work. WHAT is going on?
Arent they starving?
Why won't they eat....some still got dead bugs on their leaves that i put there that they never rolled around and had just died from being stuck there for a long TIME! !

Help!

Comments (18)

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    9 years ago

RELAX! They don't really NEED bugs although they help. Let the plants catch their own prey. The Filiformis should go outside. It'll catch it's own bugs. The Cape you can crush up some fish flakes really small and sprinkle a TINY BIT on it a few leaves if you want.

• KittieKAT
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They are outside, they catch food then don't eat it.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    9 years ago

They don't always have to curl around the bug to eat it. Plus, the body of the bug will remain intact, it's the INSIDE of the bug that gets dissolved and eaten by the plant.

• mildew
    9 years ago

I left my sundews outside and now they're covered with insects.

They even manage to catch a giant fly.

Most of the leaves don't curl onto the insects. Some may just fold in half. Just leave them be. Use fish food if you're real desperate. Again these plants don't really need to be fed. I have another bowl of these I neglected, and they're dong just fine.

Just wait till they start producing seeds. These sundews are like the weeds of carnivorous plants.

• KittieKAT
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Its not that there NOT eating its that after the bug crawls ALL the way down the leave the leave dies ALL the way down to where the bug crawls to

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    9 years ago

I think is just a coincidence that the leaf dies after the bug crawls down.

First you say they're not eating )post title), now you're saying it's not that they aren't eating. I think you're over thinking this and worrying too much.

• hunterkiller03
    9 years ago

I wonder if it's really dew on your sundew & not just condensation. Because my cape sundew can easily capture a fly & curl around it. There has to be something else.

Where do you keep your sundew & how are you growing it?

Just one more thing, the leaves of D filiformis & D tracyi don't curl around the prey, only the tentacles will bend towards it. It's more noticeable with D filiformis because their tentacles are longer.

Indeed, the leaves can be littered with insect carcasses, that's normal for sundews.

• KittieKAT
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Its the sun dews they won't bend over the bugs, they won't move... its deff dew its sticky the bugs have a hard time getting away.. but they just drag there bodies down the tentacles. They are obviously eating them whether they wrap around or not, but they DON'T trap the bug and it eventually get away. My plants are outside on a Sun porch that gets full Sun all on cloudyover cast dadays i put the cf day light bulb or the indeincandescent lighting system on them.

I'll post pictures to try and show YOU what i mean

• KittieKAT
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Its the sun dews they won't bend over the bugs, they won't move... its deff dew its sticky the bugs have a hard time getting away.. but they just drag there bodies down the tentacles. They are obviously eating them whether they wrap around or not, but they DON'T trap the bug and it eventually get away. My plants are outside on a Sun porch that gets full Sun all on cloudyover cast dadays i put the cf day light bulb or the indeincandescent lighting system on them.

I'll post pictures to try and show YOU what i mean

• KittieKAT
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the one that's leaf died after the ant tried to escape

• KittieKAT
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's the other one that I'm worried to even let food touch it cause the other one

• KittieKAT
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This one has no problems folding over an trapping food

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    9 years ago

Your plant is FINE. Stop worrying!

• KittieKAT
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well it wouldn't be fine if all the arms died off when they should be trapping the food to absorb the nutrients

• hunterkiller03
    9 years ago

Cape sundews normally trap flying insects like flies, gnats, & small moths.

But if you tried to roll the leaf around the ant yourself as you said, you may have damage it, causing it to die. Your cape sundew D. capensis 'Albino' (also known as var. alba), is still small, only when it reaches flowing size can it capture and hold a fly. Just give it a few more months, it is a healthy looking plant. Like tommyr said, stop fussing over it.

Be patient.

• MarysLamb
    9 years ago

Stop babying these plants. They're fine.

You should see mine. For every leaf on the plant, there is two dead leaves. The leaves in my experience don't last very long anyways. As long as it's still shooting off new leaves it's fine.

• Sundewd
    9 years ago

I think your issue is that those are just babies. They wouldn't require much if any feeding.

• KittieKAT
    Original Author
    9 years ago

But my other ones (typical) were eating at this little...hmmmm..
    And the leaves only died after the any had already crawled down the leave like a mini Houdini

Sponsored