Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
darthvft

Happy VFTs

darthvft
12 years ago

Every year or so I can't help but posting a few pics of my VFTs, as they seem to just get more and more vigorous each year (and I'm proud)! After four years in the same medium, I finally broke down last year and repotted, and they did seem to do even better, although of course I was worried during the process. These plants (I have three trays that are overflowing) all began their lives as weaklings saved from about six or so Wal-Mart death cubes; I included an old photo from 6 years ago to show a couple in their original state when they were first bought. Hope you all enjoy the photos and maybe those of you struggling to understand how to grow them will be motivated.

{{gwi:553475}}

{{gwi:553476}}

{{gwi:553477}}

{{gwi:553478}}

Comments (6)

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    12 years ago

Congrabulations! Looking really good! They do like deeper pots so this year I repot all of mine in deeper cups.

• SoCalDubstep13
    12 years ago

OMG those are are so awesome man Congrats! mine look like your old ones right now man lol hope they look like yours some day!
    Where do u live and whad did u do for Winter n did u ever clip off the dead traps or how did u groom them? and bring them out of dormancy?

• Hegory
    12 years ago

why do you leave the flowers on them? and do you grow them outside year-round? mine are kinda lookin like the ones in the first picture, but i've only had them for about one month. except for one that i bought about one month ago for sixteen dollars, it is averaging one inch traps right now.

• darthvft
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hegory and Dubstep13,

Thanks! I live in East Central GA, USA, so my growing zone is slightly warmer than their native zone in SC and NC, which is obviously not a problem. I *do* clip off dead traps and remove any "weeds" that pop up in their trays, and of course keep the deads leaves and such that fall from nearby trees out of their pots, but that's the extent of the grooming I do. They go through dormancy naturally, as I leave them outside year round in the same spot.
    Hegory, between the three trays I have I probably have about three hundred individual plants (that's a rough guesstimate) -- the clusters probably have twenty or more plants per. So I can afford to let seven or eight of them flower each year, and I do! If I only had a few plants I would not allow them to bud, and I make sure each April and May I remove the vast majority of buds that appear.
    Let me suggest you given them plenty of soil space (a deeper pot like mine)sunshine and keep them watered with rainwater or distilled water, and they should do fine. It took me about three years before my initials plants began to fill the pots, so hang in their, it is sure worth waiting for.

• SanDiego_Cper
    12 years ago

Wow, very impressive VFTs. I have about 5 of them and they arent looking that happy right now, because they flowered and the light levels dropped when the surrounding trees leafed out.
    I moved them to a much sunnier location and are keeping my fingers crossed that they will perk up. My goal was to have a pot full of them like yours.

• VenusGuardian
    12 years ago

Wow they look so healthy! I'm jealous. It's mid-winter here and my VFT isn't too happy. It always perks up in the spring though.

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery