Houzz Logo Print
my_name_is_jake

my sundew isnt making dew

my_name_is_jake
16 years ago

I got mine from lowes a week ago and i hav a vfp in a big terranium with it

it sits below a heat lamp

the plant itself is making new leaves but i dont see dew on the the leaves

the terranium is very humid and the plant is still in the same peat/sphagnum moss mix

and i was also wondering where i could purchase pitcher plants and cobra lillies?

Comments (4)

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

Hello my name is jake,

Well the heat lamp is probably part of the problem. What kind of sundew is it? Hardware stores commonly sell Drosera adelae, the Lance Leaf Sundew from Australia. They do not like heat over 80 degrees Fahrenheit but would not mind a terrarium. It sounds like low light to me. All carnivorous plants like a lot of light, some only do well with full sun. If you have a Lance Leaf, it needs at partial sun, like what it would get in an east or west window, or artificial light 5-6 inches from florescent 40 watt shop light tubes (cool white) or 100 watt equivalent florescent bulbs. Humidity is not a problem as the plants you indicated can all adapt to low humidity. Just repot them all into regular pots with drainage holes and put them in a tray of water 1-2 inches deep. Place a clear bag or plastic dome over them for a couple weeks to give humidity, then start punching holes in the cover or opening it a little every 3 days.. By the end of two weeks, the cover should be all the way open or look like swiss cheese and can be removed. The plants should be adapted to regular humidity by that time and will be much healthier than in a stuffy terrarium.

The VFT is not a tropical plant and will die rather quickly in a terrarium in most cases. They require full sun and can easily be grown in pots outside on a sunny patio so that they can go dormant in the winter.

Pitcher plants and Cobra plants can be found at a variety of online nurseries. I buy from Cobraplant.com but I hear good things about Califormiacarnivores.com too. Your plants will be healthier from those places than the ones you find at hardware stores anyway.

The sundew not dewing is due to low light in this case since you have it in high humidity. Sundews loose their dew when they experience a drop in humidity, however; it is light that gives sundews the energy to make dew. In low light and high humidity, they cannot make dew no matter how much humidity they get. My Drosera all sit in pots in regular household humidity with florescent lights over them about 5 inches from their leaves. They will not stop dewing or growing and have very red tentacles.

This is a pot full of Drosera adelae.

{{gwi:553440}}

Are these the sundews you are growing?

In any case, they sound like they need more light and less humidity and heat. Just grow them like houseplants, and the VFT like an outside plant if you can, and they will do much better than being stuffed in a terrarium.

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

Adequate lighting is what leads to dew production. Insufficiant lighting and/or a significant change in its environment (temperature, humidity, neglect, shipping...) will lead to a loss of dew. Give it good lighting, and inch or so of distilled water, open to the air,... and some time to adjust. New leaves should produce dew.

I wouldn't go out and get a VFT or cobra lily until the sundew gets under control. Those are higher maintenance plants.

• my_name_is_jake
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the help, i have had to give tap water to the plant a few times though because i was out of distilled water. After that my VFT traps all are starting to turn black and i molded so i cut them off. I moved the plant to a west window so the humditity isn't as high. Will this help it?

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

Hello my name is jake,

Getting more light will certainly help the Venus Flytraps. The mold is one reason why Venus Flytraps die in terrariums. They like exposure to the air and bright sun. You might get some neem oil extract or a sulfur based fungicide to spray them with, just make sure that if they have any insecticides or other ingredients that they are water based, like pyrethrines, and not soap based. The soap based products can harm carnivorous plants.

A little tap water will not harm the plants as long as you only use it every long once in a while. The minerals in hard water eventually build up and kill the plants though. Just top water the plants with distilled water to try to wash out some of the minerals and water them with distilled, rain, or reverse osmosis water from now on.

In this short a time, it was not the minerals in the water that are hurting the Venus Flytraps (that would take constant watering with hard water for weeks to kill them), it is low light in a cramped terrarium that was killing it. As long as the roots have not been attacked by the fungus yet, the plant has a chance of survival so long as you can get it out of the terrarium and give it some good strong light.

Keep working at getting the environment right for them and they will survive and grow back stronger than ever.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting