Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bob123how

3 in 1 Cube of Death- should I do it?

bob123how
16 years ago

Today, Lowes got a new shipment of CP's. Unfortunately, instead of the general assortment of sundews and VFT's, this time they were big combo-cubes with 1 venus flytrap with only one leaf with an abnormally large trap. 1 cobra lily (thats what I really want). And 1 D. adelae. I don't think they could have picked three plants with more different cultural requirements.

Is it worth my $10 and 8.25% sales tax to purchase one of these. I would open it slowly and repot them separately. I really couldn't care less if the sundew, (on acount of my being so mad at Hubert), or the VFT, (I have several doing very well now) make it. Will the CL be able to handle it - I've read that it's pretty sassy, as far as CP's go.

Thanks,

Bob

Comments (12)

• ilbasso_74
    16 years ago

I have a cobra from there right now. As long as you acclimate it slowly, I'd say go for it. Those new shipments are the time to get them. From what I've seen, the cobras tend to be a pretty good size and when compared to the price of a smaller plant from a CP nursery, you can't beat the price.

I've had some that have done quite well only to die for no reason that I can find (typical cobras!). The current one is out in blazing sun and heat and my fingers are crossed that my top watering is enough to cool it down.

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

I've done it many times. in some cases I have had discounted cubes, since they had been kicking around awhile and had to nurse the plants back to health. Fresh shipments are very healthy. I would immediately repot into 3 separate pots because they each have differing requirements, either now or due to dormancy. The sundew can reside at a window sill and the other two ought go outside, in deep pots, that are well-drained.

• olympus8mp
    16 years ago

I am also currently in the process of nursing a cobra lily back to health after it ended up in the clearance bin at Lowes. It was also a 3-in-1 pot.

Sean

• elvinwei
    16 years ago

when i read this message i headed to two of the Lowes near me and neither of them have ANY carnivorous plants!

WHY!?

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

Have one of the stores contact others for you. One oughta have CP's!

• my_name_is_jake
    16 years ago

I just recently bought 2 three in ne cubes and are nursing them back to health, it is very very hard though to get all the roots seperated

i will tell u how mine are doing in a couple of days to let you know if you should try it or not

• bob123how
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I bought the cube. I got impatient hardening it off after a day, and threw it outside where it gets direct rising/setting sun. The sundew looks amazing already, the VFT looks ok, the CL looks a little sad. Is there any particular method I should follow in repotting? I'm worried I'll completely destroy the CL and that I'll get sphag all over the sundew's dew.
    Thanks

• ilbasso_74
    16 years ago

Is the cube still on it? If so, that could very easily cook the plants inside. The Cobra would probably be the most affected by that.

If you took them out of the cube, hopefully the shock isn't going to kill them. They need to be weaned from sitting in the dark interior at Lowes under the shelves of other plants and eased into direct blazing sunlight. Mine stop off under the shop lights for a while until they make the transition. I know that you want to get them out of there, but patience is needed for these guys-especially the cobras. I have one sitting in a small Lowes cube now and I'm itching to get it out of there but haven't. I'm thinking of repotting it and then putting the cube partway over it again to at least get it in the right kind of pot while acclimating it.

Patience is almost as important as RO water and sphagnum moss when dealing with CPs!

Soil will probably get on the sundew. If the conditions are right, it'll pop back.

• bob123how
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The cube has been off since day 3. To my suprise, they changed their packing structure. The plants were in a pot with drainage in the cube. They have been outside in morning/evening sun with shade in between, in the original pot. The pot it set in 1/2 inch of RO water and it gets top watered every day to cool the CL roots.
    Bob

• bob123how
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, I repotted it. The sundew did amazingly, didn't lose any dew, and was kept sphag free. It has since caught a mosquito and looks happy. The VFT did reasonably well. The cobra lily I might have killed.

There were two, to my suprise, and one of them was growing horizontally, being supported by the side of the cube, so I had too stick them in the pot funny. I suspect my best bet is to wait until I get a cube with just CL's so I don't have to mess with the roots.

I went back to lowes yesterday and they were unloading ANOTHER shipment of "purple pitcher plants". Well it's not purple, but rather green. I don't know if this is from lack of light, or if it's just mislabled. It's outside in dappled shade out of the cube.

I've come to the realization I just can't harden things off. I'd rather look at a scraggly leafless stem than slowly lift the lid off the plant over a week or two.
    They either thrive or die, but thats how most of my new plant purchases go. :)
    Bob

• my_name_is_jake
    16 years ago

well for me its day 7 or so and i dont see any growing change the VFT and cobras look fine but all the sundews there was like 8 in these 2 cubes kinda got sphag all over them (but still making dew) The cobras havent changed much in either good or bad ways

To my surprise one of the little VFT's was a beautiful blood red inside it's traps ( i mainly got the cubes for the cobras) but now i am satisfied with my choice what can i do to get the sphag of my sundews?

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

Sundews will collect soil during repotting, it is just the way sundews are. They will grow new leaves that will take over for the moss covered ones. There really is nothing else you can do except to spray distilled water on the leaves in the hopes that over time you can clean the moss off, but that will wash some of the dew off too.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES