Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meltdown117

Capensis humidity shock and light requirement

meltdown117
11 years ago

I ordered and received a D. Capensis Red about a week ago.

It came in a plastic "dome" (it was a transparent, plastic cup) in which contained my new CP.

When I lifted the cup, I could smell the aroma from all the dews and it made me delighted.

But being a total newbie, I did not know anything about plant shock back then and could only wonder why the plant wasn't producing any mucus.

How long will my plant be in shock? (It has been about a week so far)

I have been constantly giving it distilled water and placed it under three lamps (one 16 watt coiled fluorescent lamp and two 60 watt "plant lights" that use incandescent bulbs).

Also, is my lighting appropriate?

I live in an apartment in middle of Manhattan, and because of other buildings around me, my room doesn't get much sunlight. Thus, I ordered another 60 Watt incandescent light (in addition to what I already have), but I feel like it's going to roast my plant, so I'm thinking of returning my three incandescent lights and buy a 125 Watt CPL light from Hydrofarm instead. Should I continue with my plan or should I keep my current lighting?

Lastly, what would help my CP to produce some mucus? Will simply overcoming the humidity/shipping(it was in a box for three days) shock give rise to mucus?

I will post some pictures.

Thanks!

{{gwi:553561}}

{{gwi:553562}}

The CPL light I'm looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-FLCDG125D-125-Watt-Compact-Fluorescent/dp/B001UV6P9I/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header

Comment (1)

• jmoore3274
    11 years ago

It usually can take a few weeks for a plant to over come the shock. Your plant looks pretty healthy and I would think the reason why it isn't producing any dew is because the humidity is too low. I would see this in my grow tent in my house over the winter when my 600Watt MH light turned on and zapped the humidity level. After I installed a sealed air ducted hood they wouldn't lose their dew.

Try putting the pot on some pebbles to increase the humidity. If that doesn't do it then I would hope the new traps that grow will be adapted to the environment to give off dew.

-Best Wishes-

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH