Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Capensis humidity shock and light requirement

Posted by meltdown117 6 (Manhattan, NY) (My Page) on
Tue, May 1, 12 at 19:39

I ordered and received a D. Capensis Red about a week ago.
It came in a plastic "dome" (it was a transparent, plastic cup) in which contained my new CP.
When I lifted the cup, I could smell the aroma from all the dews and it made me delighted.
But being a total newbie, I did not know anything about plant shock back then and could only wonder why the plant wasn't producing any mucus.
How long will my plant be in shock? (It has been about a week so far)
I have been constantly giving it distilled water and placed it under three lamps (one 16 watt coiled fluorescent lamp and two 60 watt "plant lights" that use incandescent bulbs).

Also, is my lighting appropriate?
I live in an apartment in middle of Manhattan, and because of other buildings around me, my room doesn't get much sunlight. Thus, I ordered another 60 Watt incandescent light (in addition to what I already have), but I feel like it's going to roast my plant, so I'm thinking of returning my three incandescent lights and buy a 125 Watt CPL light from Hydrofarm instead. Should I continue with my plan or should I keep my current lighting?

Lastly, what would help my CP to produce some mucus? Will simply overcoming the humidity/shipping(it was in a box for three days) shock give rise to mucus?

I will post some pictures.
Thanks!

Photobucket

Photobucket

The CPL light I'm looking at:
http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-FLCDG125D-125-Watt-Compact-Fluorescent/dp/B001UV6P9I/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Capensis humidity shock and light requirement

It usually can take a few weeks for a plant to over come the shock. Your plant looks pretty healthy and I would think the reason why it isn't producing any dew is because the humidity is too low. I would see this in my grow tent in my house over the winter when my 600Watt MH light turned on and zapped the humidity level. After I installed a sealed air ducted hood they wouldn't lose their dew.

Try putting the pot on some pebbles to increase the humidity. If that doesn't do it then I would hope the new traps that grow will be adapted to the environment to give off dew.

-Best Wishes-

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here