Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
necro1234

Foliar feeding opinions?

necro1234
18 years ago

Hi all

What are the general opinions of foliar feeding?, good, bad, ok?

The type I use is Epiphytes Delight on my VFT's and my D. Capensis and D. Aliciae.

Im also curious if foliar feeding a sick/weak plant is a bad thing?

Any opinions welcome

Thanks

Sheldon

Comments (11)

• byron_1
    18 years ago

Foliar feeding is always good. I never had any problems with it.

When it comes to feeding a sick plant, sometimes it is bad and sometimes it is not. You just have to take that chance because, most of the time they get better.

• FlytrpL8E
    18 years ago

Sheldon,
    Jest make sure that you aren't usinfg full strenghth Epiphytes delight. Peter in savage garden recommends a 10 % solution that is use 1/10 the normal amount stated on the package.
    Lois

• necro1234
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi FlytrpL8E

Are you sure its a 10% mix, I looked through The Savage Garden quick but could not find a specific dose for Epipythes Delight, on the form I got from Peter with my stuff though it says the following which I have been using:
    "Fertilizing: Once or twice a month during the growing season you can fertilize most carnivores by misting the leaves with a diluted solution of epiphytes delight, using half the manufacturers recommended dosage. You can also use an Orchid 30-10-10 on Mexican butterworts and Nepethes; or Miracid on Sarracenia, flytraps and sundews."

I have been following this, I halved the dose for a weekly feeding, that is just under 1/4 tablespoon per gallon of water.

Is this too strong?, I dont want to hurt my plants, any info would be appreciated.

Thanx

Sheldon

• FlytrpL8E
    18 years ago

I have been using 10 % for several years. I once overheard Peter talking to a youngster who thougt 10 % meant 10 times the usual amount and had killed his plants. i'll check and see if the instructions on the grwo sheet are the same as in the Savage Garden.
    lois

• FlytrpL8E
    18 years ago

Sheldon.
    We are both right. 10% solutioh weekly 25% solution monthly
    Lois

• necro1234
    Original Author
    18 years ago

hehe cool, just want to make sure I dont hurt my plants :)
    They seem to be loving the foliar feed, the poor ol 2 headed red dragon now has 5 with a 6th large trap getting bigger everyday.

Thanx again

Sheldon

• its-albert
    16 years ago

I miss read that very passage in Savage Garden. I used 1/2 strength of Miracid(1 and 1/2 tsp/gal) instead of 1/2 of Epipythes Delight dose which is smaller dose and burnt my VTF alittle....oops.

I like foliar feeding very much. I think carnivorous growers are learning, like orchid growers before them, that a little fertilizer is very beneficial. It takes forever to grow an orchid under the Old NO Fertilizer rule. Just easy does it with the fertilizer is key, I think. I noticed in my reading that there are still carnivorous species under the no fertilizer rule...I wonder if it is just a matter of an even weaker dilution...

Albert

• don555
    16 years ago

I just don't see where the plants would get a shot of fertilizer in their native environment.... well, from catching insects I guess. So I say feed them if you think they need a nutrient boost, but everything I've read says fertilizers are bad for carnivorous plants, except possibly a foliar spray for Nepenthes.
    -Don

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

Always remember, if you are growing them where they can get insects, and mine do even inside quite frequently, they will not need fertilizing. They are self-fertilizing plants. Enjoy the cheap, easy self-fertilizing plants. I never fertilize mine and they grow just great. This is not to say you can't fertilize them, or that fertilizing them is bad (unless you mix or apply too much). It is just that I prefer the natural method. It is much too easy to overfertilize and burn or kill them then it is to not fertilize them and have them live.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    16 years ago

The ONLY thing I give a TINY foliar spray to is my Neps in early spring to help induce pitchering. CPs get what they need fron Sunlight and insects. They don't even NEED insects actually.

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

Some people sprinkle a little Osmocote on the soil surface.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists