Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
You can leave the light onnnn....

Posted by lindaflower z8 DFW TX (My Page) on
Wed, May 31, 06 at 20:59

Hey! Can I leave my CF light on all the time or will my VFT's get exhausted?

Thanks,
Lindaflower

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: You can leave the light onnnn....

I think with any plant they really need that night time rest without the light. They need the time off from absorbing sunlight to be able to process it.

o

There are destinct day and night biochemical processes in any green plant. To much light can be a bad thing

o

Thanks for the input. That's what I was thinking, but being a newbie, I don't know everything about these creatures. I'm getting frustrated with no color in my traps. I thought longer lighting might help.

I DID find a site that sells 105 watt CF bulbs (500 watt incand.) and that may be my next option as the bugs are giving me problems from the 2 times I put them outdoors.

Hey! Maybe I just have the green variety!

o

LOL! Keeping a light on is like pulling perpetual all-nighters, like in college, at finals time! It catches up with ya! Yes, you are very likely to have a 'typical", which is going to be mostly green, with a little pink or red in the trap. You are much more liekly to see red plants from sundews. Here are some examples of window sill plants:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Any possibilty to provide outside growing for the VFT? VFT's & American Pitcher Plants really do best when outside. (Key phrase: 'do best')

o

If you want color you need more intense like not just more. Mine pink up nicely ona south windowsill, but get very red outside with some protection from dry conditions.

o

Petiolaris, those look great! I wish I had one! Okay, so I need more intense light IF in fact they can turn red. I have a 34 watt CF and filtered sun through the window and trees... and awnings.

Hmmm... I saw somewhere on this site a guide for testing your light using the light meter on your camera, have any of y'all tried that?

o

The scientific term for the action of light and plants is
called photoperiodism.
In trying to snag a link that would give all more info on this in regards to carns I ran across this site. It looks cool and you may want to save it on your Favorites.
Botany.org pages on carns

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here