Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mattmega4

what is this and taking care of it

mattmega4
14 years ago

So i saw this guy in a store and i figured id get it. It says serrecenia purpuria but i have 2 of those and this is not that. I think it may be a flava..but if u know better please tell me..and is taking care of it the same as i'd take care of my purple pitcher? do i need to put water in this pitcher like the purple kind..or does it make its own juice?

either way i am going to let it assimilate to the area and then transplant it to pot with my mix and all that jazz

{{gwi:553739}}

Comments (10)

• mattmega4
    Original Author
    14 years ago

i was also thinking kinda maybe a cobra plant

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    14 years ago

Put it outside, full sun, in a tray of rain or distilled water. It needs a dormant period in winter.

• hunterkiller03
    14 years ago

The plant you got is Sarracenia minor. Normally sellers would misname the plants they sell. But this one is from Booman Floral, because of the package and they are the only one as far as I know they sell S. minors. Booman Floral are more accurate it in naming their plants, looks like they are getting sloppy

Either way, that is a nice plant with good color and it looks it's in good condition so I donÂt recommend repotting it. Follow tommyr's advice, but when the time comes to repot it next spring, before it starts to grow. The true-and-tried 1:1 sphagnum peat moss and perlite. Water it with distilled water or rainwater.

Where'd you buy it?

• mattmega4
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've purchased all my CP's at Orchard Supply Hardware, i am the proud owner of 2 cape sundews, 1 fly trap, and 2 purple pitchers (now 3) from them. But i went in today and saw 2 new plant types. The one i posted above (which i was mistaken in identifying) and another one (picture below). I will take your guys advice and put these pots outside first thing in the morning, thank you very much.

BTW i'll post the pictures of all 3 plants that i bought today

{{gwi:553742}}
    {{gwi:553743}}
    {{gwi:553744}}

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    14 years ago

One looks like a Sarr. Flava the other a P. Purpea. All go outside as well.

• ltecato
    14 years ago

I also just got an S. minor from OSH, no doubt from the same grower.

• mattmega4
    Original Author
    14 years ago

for the flava is it supposed to be that tall and skinny or is that just the negative effects from the death cube? and also for the flava and the minor..do i put water in the pitchers or does it make its own juice

• alcran
    14 years ago

Flavas are tall. But mine get kinda stocky during the summer. The pitcher is about 1 1/2 inches across at the mouth. When the summer kicks in you'll get pitchers like this too.

• banjoman
    14 years ago

No need to put any water into the flava and minor pitchers. Just put them outside in full sun as suggested above. Put the pots in water trays, and if the water trays dry out, refill the trays with rainwater or distilled water.

The flava should grow tall. Yours looks healthy - not an effect of a "death cube".

• bugeater4
    14 years ago

ye its a sarr. minor

Sponsored