Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nbarger75

Peat and Sphagnum moss? HELP!!!!!!

Nbarger75
12 years ago

Okay so I got a alice sundew Vft and n. ventricosa and planted them in this peat moss with perlite and on the vft i threw some dried sphagnum on top. I got the Sphagnum from lowes and the peat moss from a nursery.

Lately, my sundew looked ill, and the nepenthes had some dieing pitchers, nothing seemed wrong with what I was doing. I use peat moss, perlite , distilled water, yet i was failing. So i thought maybe somehow i used tap water accidently so i got distilled water and poured it through the sundews peat moss and then checked it with my TDS tester. It came out at 068 ppm!!!!! then to see if the peat was the problem, i poured some distilled water in a cup then mixed in some peat moss to a soupy mixture. I checked the TSD and it was 015, and rising each minute. So I knew i had bad peat so to be safe I did the same to the sphagnum and got even higher results!!! WTH!!!!! So what do you guys suggest I use, can you recommend a brand of peat and sphagnum online? the distilled water is not the problem so dont suggest i find different water. But what can i do know. I took some leaf cuttings from the sundew so if It dies i have back up. But how do i keep it alive till i get different soil?

Comments (2)