Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mukaketupat

Byblis Liniflora germinated in 6 days! What should i do next?

mukaketupat
16 years ago

Heya guys.

So i tried sowing some seeds of liniflora that someone gave us and it germinated. I have no experience whatsoever in sowing seeds and this is my first time. What should i do next? I assume that CP seedlings is a little bit more complicated than any normal seedlings. Any advice?

Here's the photo and more info - http://pokok.gejala.org/2007/mukaketupat/carnivorous-plants/bliniflora-germinated-in-6-days/

Comments (3)

• ilbasso_74
    16 years ago

Hi.
    I'm growing my first seedlings of this species now as well. I planted several seeds and about 7 or 8 germinated. Of those, many didn't make it.

A big thing to remember, is not to disturb their roots. I had figured that a tiny, tiny seedling would be fine and I did transplant a few of those with a large chunk of dirt around them. Dead. Maybe I did something else wrong, but I'm not risking it now. I put a pot with 2 or 3 seedlings in a tank under lights and transferred another pot with one seedling from a tank to an east facing windowsill.

So far, the ones in the tank are largely ok. One seems to have taken a bad turn and the windowsill one just started looking questionable.

In "The Savage Garden", Peter mentions that they can be great bog garden candidates so I'm assuming that they really are tougher than some people make them out to be but I'm not going to mess with my existing ones anymore. I do know that everyone seems to suggest a peat/sand mix and not constantly waterlogged.

If they germinated that quickly, you must have pretty good conditions. Maybe you shouldn't do anything unless you have to. Are there enough that you can experiment with conditions?

• mukaketupat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have not touched them since they germinated. The most i did was poked some holes on the cling wrap for some air. And i dont think i would want to transplant them anytime soon (or ever). I'm a little afraid. They germinated when the sun was up 2 - 3 days in a row, which means they get at least 4 hours of direct sun daily. But the past two days its just been raining and a today is pretty cloudy and overcast. :(

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

Hello mukaketupat,

Byblis tends to suffer from fungus when young, so be prepared to loose a few to infection, probably a good idea to spray them occasionally with neem oil or sulfur based fungicide as needed. They also really hate to be repotted, so plant the seeds in the pot you want them in would be the best bet.

Other than that, they like lots of sun and soil that is only a little less damp than sundews like. They should grow well there in Malaysia. Now if you can just get some scavenger beetles to live on the plants... Byblis liniflora does not make it's own digestive enzymes, but it does rely on beetles to eat the insects trapped on their leaves. The beetles droppings fertilize the plant.

I don't think you need to do anything more for them, just harden them to open air over the next few weeks and keep up the good care. Your doing a great job with them. Congratulations.