Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Green moss okay?

Posted by lindaflower z8 DFW TX (My Page) on
Tue, May 23, 06 at 23:34

Hey all! I have some very happy green moss growing on top of the sphagnum moss on my VFT's. Seems to me someone said that's not good. Is the moss okay?

Thankee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Green moss okay?

Some mosses can be harmful to CPs. Are you sure that it's different from the sphagnum? When my Sphagnum reproduces it sends up little shoots to put out spores. Would have to see it really. I know that Spanish moss is harmful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Backyard Bogs (The Natural Alternative)

o

you should remove the green moss immediately. that was one of the mistakes i made when i began cultivating Vfts'

i got mistaken by purchasing green moss instead of sphagnum moss. i did the same thing; i placed green moss for 'top dressing' on top of one of my dente flytraps. after a couple of days, i began noticing some "orange - grey" mold on the base of my dente flytrap. even though that i grew it in the right conditions the plant wasvery healthy, sending up some nice traps. but after i placed the green moss, the base of the plant was infested with mold. maybe green moss isn't suited well for Vfts.

o

The moss is different from the sphagnum. There aren't any spore shoots and it is dense. It looks like a bright green carpet. I will post a photo later. I don't have time to look up how that's done again at the moment. thanks

o

When in doubt... toss it out! To be in the safe side, I would try to exricate it. A lot of times hobbyists ship plants that have the good LFS and often times there is other moss.

Here is some good moss:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The moss I see in this pot is what I almost always see. It is not LFS and i don't know what it is called. I can'r even discern if it is terribly harmful. It's just the wrong type of moss.

Is this what you have?

o

ohhh..!!

if it's the green little moss like in the pic that petiolaris posted(the second pic) then that moss is totally harmless. sorry i think i misread your message. that moss that grows on top of cp media is a good sign of humidity. dried sphagnum moss usually grows back. i have many of that little green moss that grows over the media of all of my carnivorous plants.

sorry i thought you mentioned you placed that "green moss" that are sold in gallon bags. becuase THOSE are the ones that i am talking about that are harmful to Vfts.

the moss that is growing over your sphagnum moss is a good sign that things are been taken care of.

take care,

=xymox=

o

Here's a picture of my green moss. It's not like the sphagnum:

o

Linda, the picture didn't come out. I tried copy, pasting, uploading,... and couldn't get it to do anything. If you want to Email me (the text string) through G.W., I can get it it onto My Documents and upload it.

o

It didn't load because file path Linda specified is on her D drive. You have to upload the picture to a web host first and then link it.

o

I tried various combinations of approaches to get it to my Photobucket account and each time it was rejected. My computer expertise hit a wall!

o

Oh yeah, I did the Photobucket thingy last time. It's the bright green moss to your left. Here goes:

o

Is that moss or algae / slime? Has it been kept very moist? I'm just not sure what I am looking at. If it were me, I would pick it out. I have had to manually remove unrecognizable and undesirable growths before - green and white.

o

is that a pitcher or a leaf? o.O

below..

o

It's not slimy. It's soft. I'll pick it out to be safe. Thanks!

o

Ha! That's not a pitcher... that's a distorted leaf. I didn't notice that it looked like a pitcher until you mentioned it. I know that plant looks pretty pathetic but you should have seen it in February! It's one of these that I rescued from Walgreen's Drugstore

Here's mine from last year. It hasn't colored up with all my efforts of increasing light. I tried putting all 6 plants outside and they got mites(?). Tiny white bugs that come out of the moss when you poke it. Some of the leaves are still distorted on all of them from that infestation.

o

ohhhh :O

i raised my eyebrow when i saw the malformed leaf because it looked like a pitcher a little bit(like a sarracenia purpurea's) so i thought if it was mutated or something lol .. those white little bugs.. and aphids. i hate them!
that usuallt occurs during early springs. everytime this happens is best to get orthene(spray) to spray the leaves slightly, this is a pest repel for cp's. vfts atleast can benefit from this. not so far, one of my vfts was suffering from aphid infestation, the poor thing was doing badly because all the leaves and traps look horrible.

so i repot it. i removed the plant itself out of her container, cleanse the media off with purified water and sunked her in the purified water for 10-15 mins. after that, i replanted it into a fresher media. now.. since 2 weeks ago. it's doing a bit better.

in that first pic. the first flytrap.. is that a flower stalk? O.o

o

Yes, that's a flower stalk. I couldn't believe the poor shape they were in, but there was one flowering!! I cut the flower stalk off so the plant would have a better chance of recovering.

I wish I had never put these plants outdoors. Those little buggers are hard to get rid of.

Maybe it's a Texas thing...

o

A Texas thing? LOL! In case you have aphids and are uncomfortable with the use of pesticides, you can put the whole pot / plant in a wider and deeper container and fill it with distilled water such that the plant is submerged. Aphids drown and plants come through it looking like "drowned rats" but recover just fine. I have had bad luck with putting spatulata, capensis, and adelae outside and them getting attcaked by aphids, but 100% ridding of the aphids and recovery of the plants.

o

I'm going to drown them again this weekend. They aren't aphids like you see on the outdoor plants. They are teeny tiny white bugs that move real quick and you don't see them until you poke the moss; then they come scrambling out but you have to look real close. I'm sick of them! My plants aren't going outside again.

BUT, I had an idea earlier today... I wonder if those lice things you hang up in bird cages will kill off the itty bitty bugs. That way I can put the plants outside and bring them back in and kill them without the drownings.

o

lady bugs can devour aphids, but flytraps can devour the lady bugs?

talk about life cycle!

o

Circle of life!
But seriously, Xymox, have you heard of using those bird lice hangers to kill the bugs?

o

I have heard of using cat or dog collars for that purpose, but when I attempted to use it, it had no discerible effect. In the UK they use a product called Provado. I asked what the American equivalent was and I was given a link that led to a manufacturer called Bayer and a product that is designed to kill a variety of critters. It can be found at Walmart and is advertized for use on roses. There are also products that contain Pyrethrum (Pyrethrins), which is a natural repellant found in Crysanthemums. There is also a DIY pesticide on the market (do ityourself) and I'll have to get back to you on that one.

o

Hi All,
although the discussion is old, this are my pictures of some of my Venus flytraps with moss growing around it. Never had problem with moss before, and I have people and relatives come over and see my plant. They find them "pretty".

'Akai Ryu'

A typical Venus Flytrap

'Giant Form'

'Dentante' have shaggy type of moss growing on it, much different from the other pots. Again no harm done to my plant.

My other pots don't have that much moss, only my Venus Flytraps as you can see. I have tried growng shapgnum moss but because of the heat here in Arizona, it kind turn dark brown and "rusts" away.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here