Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aaaamory

Nepenthes sanguinea yellowing and bruising.

aaaamory
17 years ago

I took a photograph of what is happening to the leaves of a couple of my sanguineas and I was wondering if anyone knew exactly what causes it. I've been cutting off leaves that started to look kind of gross like this. I first assumed that Nepenthes leaves have a life cycle and they're reaching the end of it. But I remembered that I don't really know for certain the growth habits of Nepenthes. I've only had this plant since January. here's the picture:

{{gwi:554037}}

Is that normal? It looks like a bruise on the leaf, and the leaf on the far right is kind of yellowing.

Too much sun? It gets direct morning sunlight, but because of the intensity I'm thinking I should diffuse the light but I haven't done it. My other Nepenthes (ramispina and truncata) are doing fine in the morning light, but I heard truncatas can tolerate more extremes than most Nepenthes.

Too much fertilizer? I mist the leaves every other week. My first fertilizing, I used full-strength Orchid 30-10-10. Oops (I didn't read my sources carefully enough). My second feeding I sprayed with 1/2 strength. I've decided I'm going to use 1/4 strength and I'm going to stick with that so I don't overdo it. I don't know if the leaf yellowing-'bruising' was specifically caused by fertilizing, though. Does anyone know what an overfertilized Nepenthes looks like?

Overwatering? Accidentally letting it get too dry? I don't use the tray method, and the soil is a vermiculite, long-fiber sphagnum, orchid bark, perlite mix (It's like alphabet soup.)

Not enough humidity or too hot? It's usually around 40% around the plant, according to my gauge in the morning with the direct morning sun, and the temperature can reach in the 90s in the window, and in the afternoon and evening the humidity gets as high as 60%. I have it elevated over a pebble tray.

My best guess is that maybe it's getting too hot in the mornings, but if anyone sees the picture and knows exactly what's up that would eliminate me having to guess and wait and try different things. :(

Comments (12)

• back2eight
    17 years ago

I have a plant that is looking exactly like that, and I have been wondering what the problem is myself. I moved it from inside to outside and had it handing under a tree where it was getting diffused sunlight all day. I was thinking that it was still getting too much, or maybe like you said getting too hot or not enough humidity. My husband said it looks like a plant does when it is not getting enough light. To me it looked like sunburn. I don't know, I still haven't figured out the answer. It was doing fine when it was inside in my window. I thought that if I gave it enough time to adjust that it would be better, but it isn't and I've been thinking of moving it indoors again. It is also probably not getting enough water, because I tend to neglect my outdoor plants. If you figure out the cause let me know, because it is a mystery.

• aaaamory
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I just did some research and I found a photograph of a Nepenthes with some black leaves. I wonder if the bruise is the beginning of a leaf starting to turn black. It was caused by the roots rotting or getting a bacterial infection from being too wet and overwatered.

Even though I water from the top and let it drain, I do have some dried long-fiber sphagnum in my mix and that stuff holds onto a lot of water, and so does bark. The other plants that I have are in a different soil mix and they're doing fine so that's another clue, but I haven't had them quite as long. Since the bright sunlight and the heat cause the moisture on the top of the soil to get dry, there's probably more than enough moisture in the soil further down, but I water anyway so that the top layer is moist again. Hence the overwatering.

I emailed an expert at the nursery where I bought the plant from with the picture and I'm hoping that's the case. I will simply try not to water my plant as often and I will post the answer that the expert gives me when it comes.

• aaaamory
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I got an answer, and this is the reply from Sarracenia Northwest, the place where I got the plant,

"Thanks Vanessa for the photo. What it looks like is an older leaf simply getting close to the end of its cycle. It's normal for the lower leaves to do that. Simply cut it off when you can't stand looking at it. As long as all new growth looks good, your plant is healthy."

It looks like Nepenthes leaves do have a life cycle after all, just as I assumed, so there is nothing wrong with the plant.

• back2eight
    17 years ago

Yeah, but that is not what is happening to mine, and it doesn't sound like the original poster's question either. I'm glad you got an answer to your question though. I know mine is not too wet, if anything it is too dry, and possibly getting more sun than it needs. I think mine got sunburned.

• aaaamory
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Really? Because I am the original poster. O.o

• back2eight
    17 years ago

Oh, oops. I didn't scroll back up and read. The first post sounds like what mine is doing, but not the last post, and not the answer form sarracenia NW. I guess our plants are doing different things, because mine got yellow just about all over, and I think it is sunburn from moving it outdoors and into sun too quickly without hardening it off. It is definitely not being kept too wet. The soil is pretty dry and well-drained. It hasn't recovered but hasn't gotten worse either, so I'm just waiting to see what will happen.

• mazmaia48_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

the bottom leaves of my sanguinea are also turning brown on th ends of leaves and pitchers not forming. But there seems to be a whole lot of young ones coming up in the soil. At what stage3 do you pot them on and by reading up on them you need a male and female. So how come the baby plants? Maybe they were there in the soil when I bought the plant a year ago.?Does anyone know anything about potting them on. Thanks for any info you can give me

• Hegory
    12 years ago

Hi aaaamory, I read your conditions and it sounds like you need to fertilize differently. Fertilizing on the leaves can cause them to brown and die prematurely. you need to use some different fertilizer. use something like seaweed extract, or Shultz plant food. Apply it to the soil in the root area, then the next day flush the pot out of excess salt. there are several recent posts that explain it better.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    12 years ago

I use orchid food. 1/4 strength. I spray the leaves with it in the spring every 2 weeks to induce pitchering. Works just fine.

• Hegory
    12 years ago

everyone has a way that works for them. other than fertilizing I don't know what would be wrong.

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

Why do people still foliar feed their plants. Fertilizers are best absorbed through root absorption.

• Hegory
    12 years ago

foliar feeding does not work, the thick waxy coating on the leaves CAN NOT absorb nutrients. My plants that I fertilized through the roots awhile ago, about two weeks, have burst into new growth; growth that I couldn't get by foliar feeding.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH