Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
VFT Growing odd?

Posted by Nbarger75 none (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 17, 11 at 2:12

So I have a VFT in my terrarium (only for summer dont worry) and before it was growing maybe 1.5 inch stems with nice sized heads, Then for some reason it is growing long stems with small heads. Can someone tell me why? It did just start growing a flower which i cut at 1cm long. Also, if i put a bug in a trap it has a brown spot where the bug is the day after it caught it? I feed it moths, which are as long as the heads but thinner. It never used to do this but once, when it caught a fly that was maybe big for it. So can someone please tell me why its starting to behave odd? Its in 50/50 sphagnum peat to perlite, 10000 lumen light 6400k, with another light which all i know is a CFL.

One more thing, can anyone tell me how long it takes for traps to turn red, because when i got it one trap was red and the others looked like they were starting to get it, but when new traps came in, they dont turn? Why?
THANKS I APPRECIATE ALL THE HELP!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: VFT Growing odd?

A trap has to be able to make it's inside a vacuum, it's not enugh that the hairs on the ends can close. The moth was probably too big.
VFT's should be kept outside all year , long stems and small traps + no red inside the traps means not enough good light. Put it in the sun.

o

If VFT's should be kept outside all year long, what does one do for the winter? Here in South Africa we have mild winters and sunny days. Should my VFT be kept in the sun even in the winter months?

o

If VFT's should be kept outside all year long, what does one do for the winter? Here in South Africa we have mild winters and sunny days. Should my VFT be kept in the sun even in the winter months?

o

You can provide dormancy by putting them in a refrigerator. How cool/cold does it get for you folks in the fall?

o

Just checked your weather in South Africa. Leave your VFTs outside all year long. You never seem to get below 33 degrees F. there it looks like. You should be good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here