Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garyfla_gw

Switch to PP mixture??

garyfla_gw
15 years ago

Hi

I recently repotted an Nep.maxima into peat perlite from sphagnum and it's growing like a weed but the new pitchers abort at about 1 inch What could be wrong??

Is it the peat?? gary

Comments (7)

• mcantrell
    15 years ago

How big is the plant? Has it grown bigger pitchers before?

It might just be in shock...

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi
    Have had this variety about one year and produced several gigantic pitchers until I repotted. It is still growing new leaves at a fast clip but the pitchers dry up at about two inches. Only have one other type which produces solid green small pitchers and this has never been a problem for it . It fact it's become downright weedy lol.
    I repotted back into sphag yesterday and hung it outdoors in a Carambola tree. I'm thinking maybe it might be the tapwater. Very hard and alkaline ?? Now it will only get rainwater. Thanks for the help !!! gary

• mcantrell
    15 years ago

Wait, Tap Water? Do you have clean tap water? If so, I'm quite jealous!

Yeah, if it's not good water it'll grow smaller, if it doesn't die, that is. I'm not sure it's the potting mix you were using if you also changed the water you were using at the same time...

When you say Sphagnum, do you mean the long stringy stuff? I ask cause you're making a distinction between "Peat and Perlite" and "Sphagnum".

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi
    I keep most of my container plants including the Nep in a shadehouse which has an overhead sprinkler system supplied by city water. I had the Nep in a far corner but some of the water may have gotten into it. Only problem has been the traps .it is almost 3 feet long and has very healthy looking leaves. Has almost doubled in size in less than a year. It didn't stop producing traps until I repotted in peat ,perlite. I went back to long fibered sphagnum moss. which was the media when I bought it.
    My other specie of Nep is unaffected ,and it regularly gets water from the tap.
    You don't call "city" water tap water??
    The sphag is unmilled New Zealand type. quite different than Canadian peat. that's why the distinction.
    gary

• petiolaris
    15 years ago

LFS is often sold for ~$3, dried, in bags. Hobbyists often have the living LFS.

Here's an old picture showing living LFS that actually started out a the dried material:

{{gwi:428433}}

Shagnum peat is LFS that has decomposed, the layer that is underneath the living LFS.

Tap water varies. Only chemical testing will show how safe it is for CP's. I use running water from a nearby creek, as well as rain, and distilled.

More live LFS:

{{gwi:547228}}

{{gwi:554556}}

• mcantrell
    15 years ago

Nice shots! :) All my growing LFS ends up growing up above itself and then turning white and dying back. If I "groom" it, pushing it over and basically doing my best to make sure it doesn't get above the wet zone in my pots it does better.

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi
    This is all very interesting but have never tried to grow Sphag . I don't have the room or patience lol .i do grow some orchids in Dicranum which is a tropical epiphytic moss. Not because it's necessary but because it looks cool lol.
    So back to my question lol why is the maxima growing but not producing pitchers?? Is it seasonal??
    When checking local vendors they use Canadian peat with perlite. exclusively. The maxima was potted in a cheap grade of long fibered sphag ,quite dead lol.
    My other species of nep. grows in anything including nothing lol. Is the maxima so different??? gary

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living