Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I don't think my venus fly trap is a venus fly trap

Posted by baigers none (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 1, 13 at 6:29

Hi,

I'm just new to this and was given a "venus fly trap" to grow in one of those cheap gift sets.
Now I've put it all together and these bad boys have been growing for probably over a month. I can't see any sign of a carnivorous head on it and also it looks about as far away from a venus when I compare it to any videos or pics online.

Can anyone let me know if it is one, alternatively can you tell me if, like I think, it isn't?

Thanks,
Baigers

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I don't think my venus fly trap is a venus fly trap

No, it's NOT a Venus flytrap. Not sure what it is but it's not a Flytrap that's for sure.

o

I have been growing the exact same plant for over 4 months waiting to see a fly trap develop. Like you I'm also new to them and found this forum when I started to question the plants true identity.

Did you have any luck finding out what plant it is? Mine looks exactly the same as yours, even only got 3 plants from the seven seeds. Pot looks the same to. I'm guessing someone is selling these dodgy venus fly traps worldwide.
Bit of a shame really as I was getting a little enjoyment out of it. Be nice to at least know what I'm growing now.

Nige

o

Here's a picture of the kit I bought, was yours the same

o

Flytraps make traps literally within a week or 2 of sprouting. They are MINI but functional. FYI.

o

Most definitely NOT a VFT. I think you've got some kind of herb (maybe pineapple sage???) Did you end up with little red flowers? I want to try my hand at growing VFTs as well and have been reading up on how to germinate and grow these fascinating plants. Here's a link I found very helpful about how to grow these guys. I just ordered some seeds on eBay, so we'll have to wait and see what comes up. BTW, you should be able to find photos of actual VFT seedlings online. They look just like mini VFT.

Here is a link that might be useful: Venus Flytrap Info

o

0.0 This is sad but borderline hilarious.... Sorry to break it to you but that is definitely NOT a venus flytrap! As others have already mentioned, the plants grow out tiny traps in early stages of growth, and you should be able to say "hey there little flytrap" within weeks! You should definitely try to get reimbursement of some sort, that's such terrible thing to do to customers!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here