Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
darkdes

awesome b-day present

darkdes
17 years ago

Yesterday was my birthday party. When my brother asked me what i wanted for my birthday i told him "Just a carnivorous plant from lowes, they are only about $5.00." Well later at my party when everyone was showing up my friend told me it looks like my brother got me a tiny plant with bannanas on it. Well i go to inspect this tiny bannana plant and it turns out to be a HUGE nepenthes miranda!! I'll post some pics when i can. Any got some info on this giant? Is it highland? Lowland? The pot it came in is a hanging pot but the holes at the bottem are covered should i cut them open? I am growing it outside on a shadey porch in summer, is this ok? Its fairly humid here in georgia but its also gets about 90 in the daytime, or hotter, but fairly cooler at night. This shouldnt be much of a problem if its lowland but if its highland maybe i should move it inside dont you think?

Comments (13)

• kinka
    17 years ago

Wow, you have a nice brother. Any idea of where he bought it? :P

• darkdes
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Some nursery down town, it was about 40 dollers. But like i said it is BIG!

• nametakken
    17 years ago

wow i wish my local nurserys would carry cps...o well, and since its already huge it would probably be safe to go to the nursery and get some info on it because obviously they were doing something right

• clay_in_iowa
    17 years ago

SCCOOORRREEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

That's a cool bro.

• darkdes
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I never knew about the place either till my birthday. My brothers say they do alot of electrical work for the owner and he gives them all kinds of discounts. So maybe ill get one to. I'm going there myself this wednesday to spend some birthday money. Who knows? Maybe ill get a sarracenia that actually grows pitchers finally =O

• corymbosa
    17 years ago

Miranda is (maxima*northiana)*maxima. ie (highland*lowland)*higland. Most N.maxima in cultivation are highland forms so presumably the parents of your plant were too. It can probably be grown as either a highland or lowland plant. Given it's 3/4 highland, if you grow it as a lowland Nep it may still prefer a slight dip in temperature at night. The maxima in it should make it fairly cold tolerant - if protected from frost, highland forms of N.maxima can take temperatures close to 32F without harm.

• back2eight
    17 years ago

"since its already huge it would probably be safe to go to the nursery and get some info on it because obviously they were doing something right"

That is not a true statement. They get them in nice and big, then they kill them if they have them there too long. I have seen it over and over again. A little local nursery here had some nepenthes before Christmas that were so big and beautiful. I bought one. I went back several months later and the nepenthes that they had left were nearly dead. They were so sick looking. The GROWERS do it right, the nurseries don't have a clue most of the time.

• nametakken
    17 years ago

ok ty back2eight ill have to remember that and i thought of that too but now that i think of it ive seen that alot more then someone actually knowing how to grow them

• darkdes
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Im growing it outside at the time and it hasnt shown a turn for the worse yet. I plan on moving it to my room during the hottest part of summer and for most of winter and part of spring. I imagine it would do good in my room cause i got 3 windows that alternate light throughout the day and i sleep with fans on so the temp at night is about 70 deg F.

• kinka
    17 years ago

Wow, only 40 bucks? Sweet man, sweet.

• xymox
    17 years ago

good deal! you should take a pic of it :) oh by the way, HAPPY be-lated b-day :D

• nametakken
    17 years ago

o yea lol all this talking about the plant happy bday:)

• darkdes
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Its biggest trap is a good bit bigger than my hand, and i have pretty big hands

Sponsored