Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Questions/Help - Sarracenia purpurea ssp. venosa

Posted by mnkosch none (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 10:21

I'm pretty sure what I have is a Sarracenia purpurea ssp. Venosa. However after hearing what other people have said about their plants, others seem to be growing much faster than mine. After nearly 4 months now, it has grown only one pitcher, but one pitcher has also died. I water it using only distilled water. I water from the top, and allow some water to gather in a saucer under it. I water again when the saucer almost dries out. I make sure to keep the soil constantly wet. I grow it on the sunniest windowsill in my house. I occasionally pop a fly into one of the pitchers to feed it. The new pitcher even caught a huge beetle on its own. Is it OK my plant is growing this slow?

P.S. On the new pitcher, some red coloring is appearing, but it does not match the pattern of the other pitchers. It is two circles of red on the hood. I am concerned because in the middle, there is browning occurring. Is this OK, or am I sunburning it? Or is this pitcher going to turn completely red? Pictures Below.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Another picture

The whole plant

o
Another picture

The bug it caught on its own. Too big for it?

o
RE: Questions/Help - Sarracenia purpurea ssp. venosa

• Posted by tomr Z6 NY (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 15:02

You growing it OUTSIDE in full all day Sun?

o

No I'm growing it inside on the sunniest windowsill i have. Will it help to grow it outside?

o

• Posted by tomr Z6 NY (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 13:13

These are NOT houseplants, Acclimate it to full all day sun. Rainwater or distilled water only. Keep it in a water tray with about an inch of water in it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here