Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bfern

Any recommended sources for Sarracenia?

bfern
16 years ago

Thank you Squim4, mutant hybrid, and tommyr for your posts.

Do you have any recommendations on reputable sources for Sarracenia?Thanks

fern

Comments (6)

• squim4
    16 years ago

Hi bfern,

I have 2 very good online nursuries that are very good at delivering your plants quickly and with quality. The first one is www.californiacarnivores.com. This is the largest online site for cp's in the country, but can be a little expensive at times. There is always a variety of sarracenia, and they always look great.

The second is www.cobraplant.com, also known as sarracenia northwest. These guys can be less expensive, and also have a fairly wide variety of plants. They also tell you when certain species will be available to buy, which is helpful. They dont have quite as big as a selection of sarracenia as calif.carn does, but both sites have their pro's and con's. In addition, both sell pots and soil, which is useful for finding the right supplies fast.

I have also noticed, as ive posted before, that if you visit a lowes or home depo, you can find a dying plant, ask for a discount, and nurse it back to health. They sometimes have sarracenia, at least where i live, and many other plants. This could be a risk, however, for the plant may not live (look for a plant with some green on it). If you want to take this route, i suggest completely replacing the soil and putting the sarr in a half peat half perlite mixture with a water tray around it. You must be patient, for it could take a few weeks for signs of life to emerge. If there is no more green left, then sorry, your plant is dead...

Hope this helps, and good luck to you,

Squim4

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

I always go to Sarracenia Northwest at cobraplant.com for my plants and soil. They ship fast and have a free plant guarantee if they do not get your order ready in 3 days. They ship young, healthy plants in small pots and I have always received my plants in under a week from them, thats including the processing time. I live half way across the U.S. from them.

I hear good things about californiacarnivores.com too. I have not ordered from them, but I am betting the quality is similar to Sarracena Northwest.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    16 years ago

I'll add Cook's to the list as well. All the recommended places so far are excellent.

Tom

• ilbasso_74
    16 years ago

Another vote for cobraplant.com

although, if you check ebay, there is a seller that I've used called Wellspring. They only carry the usual mass produced, wholesale plants but their prices are decent and the plants are nice. I'd be careful about some of the dealers on there though. Do NOT order from Hirt's. They have many items on there and the quality is sub-par.

Cobraplant.com is probably your best bet.

• ccoombs1
    16 years ago

I have also purchased plants from Ebay seller Wellspring100 and was very satisified. The plants are small (the listing does state that) but they are cheap and the shipping costs are very reasonable. They take a while to ship to you (also stated in the listing). I had no complaints at all with them.

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

Trading with other hobbyists has been my best approach to collect CP's.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!