Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Steam Distilled Water

Posted by kenzola863 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 30, 10 at 11:47

I was looking on ebay at those personal steamed water distillers and was wondering if that will do the job at cleaning the water for my plants? I do not have to many plants and something small like this would produce enough water for me but i don't know if that is what I need to produce "clean" water.

Regards, Ken

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Steam Distilled Water

Don't waste your money on that. Collect rain water and in the meantime buy a gallon or 2 of distilled water. It's cheap enough.

o

I only use 25-30 gallons the whole season which comes to $25-$30. That's over 10 years worth of water for the price of those and that's not counting the electricity. And I doubt that machine will last 10 years.

o

Or go to Walmart and buy a gallon at a time, for like 86 cents.

o

Really? I have already gone through about 6 gallons already. Do you fill up trays with the water or do you top water your plants everyday? Are yours outdoors too? I find my tray dry up quick on a real hot day. How do you minimize the evaporation? I got about 4 trays worth.
-Regards, Ken

o

I fill trays. I also catch rain water. That estimate is only what I have to buy. Plants are outside except Neps.

o

I pour water through the pots as well is in the tray. It depends upon the plants. On rainless days I just pour water through the pots of VFT's SArracenias,& Darlingtonia.

o

how do you guys go about catching rainwater? I have heard/ read that using your roof can add minerals to the rain water. I know for a fact that I do not have mold killer on my roof so that wouldnt be a problem. I just don't think sticking a bucket out in the open would yield that much water without using a roof to capture it. Does having metal spouts really add alot of minerals to the water?

o

I get it off my roof. It goes into a 30 gallon plastic garbage can. I also collect it in 5 gallon buckets off the roof. Don't worry about quality, it's fine and the roof and spouts don't add anything. Rainwater is far better for all plants.

o

I let it rain and rinse the roof off before I put my buckets out. I have killed a sarracenia from catching first rains. The water had a brown tint to it. Probably fluorocarbons from exhaust emissions. This used to be the highway though until they built a new road. Traffic is much further away now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here