Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Live in zone 5....what would survive?

Posted by missa z5MA (wgplantlady@aol.com) on
Mon, Jun 11, 07 at 11:47

Hi there.
I live in zone 5 in MA. and I wanted to make a bog. I know about the spagnum and sand and peat ratio ect. I have had some Cps before but i havent quite has so much sucess having them come back the following year. I love pitcher plants! I have has sarracenia Purpurea, S. White top and S. Flava. at whick i have heard they are more hardy and can tolerate cooler zones. I have only had a white top come back but barely and nevere really did much of anything but just exhist...barely. So ide like suggestions from people for plants that can live in my zone 5. I have has some spatulata sundews that are supposed to be native here and they have never come back for me....sigh. Have a wonderful day! Thanks for any help you can give me. Oh.....where is a good source to find the cps i could try? Thank you! Melissa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Live in zone 5....what would survive?

Hi missa,

The Northern Purple Pitcher Plant and Drosera rotundifolia both grow naturally in zone 5 weather.

I am not sure of a Drosera spatulata that grows in zone 5, all of the one's I have seen come from Japan, Australia, or or New Zealand and tend to be semi-tropicals that do not go dormant and can barely survive temperatures down to about 35-40 lowest. Grow them indoors all year round.

You could grow most Sarracenias in a mini-bog in your climate, however, the ones that are from zones 6-8 would need extra protection like mulching and bags over them when the temperature drops too cold.

You could try the site cobraplant.com as both a nursery source and an information source as they have care sheets on many carnivorous plants suited for various zones.

o
RE: Live in zone 5....what would survive?

You mat want to check out a local Lowes for a variety of sundews, VFT's, cobra lily, a temperate butterwort, and some American pitcher plants. Or.... you can go the online store route.... or.... you can find a willing hobbyist to share some plants, with just the cost of shipping($4.60). D. spatulata is an Asian tropical sundew and would only be good outside for 4-5 months. But they grow great on window sills.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

D. intermedia, binata, rotundifolia, and filiformis grow well outside in bogs, but may be too cold to keep outside in Massachusetts for the winter. I tote mine to sunny window sill in my attic.

o
Bettas

Hey... aren't you the one with the fussy Bettas?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here