Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kenzola863_gw

Water Quality

kenzola863
13 years ago

Hey guys I have been growing Venus Fly traps for a couple of month now. They are all grown outside in full sun and watered with distilled water and tap water. I noticed a couple of them having a yellow tint more than a green. My tap water is very low in hardness (about 40ppm) but I know they add chlorine additives and not gas to our water. Obviously chlorine is just as harmful as hardy water but my question is can I use aquirum dechlorinator to remove the chlorine from my tap water? Or should I put the water through a carbon filter? I also have access to well water but do not know the hardness of it. I have all of my traps in a tray of water which I tend to put tap water and I top water distilled water once a week.

Comments (5)

• taz6122
    13 years ago

If chlorine is your only concern then I would just let the water set out for a couple days or boil it so that the chlorine evaporates. I would not use aquarium products on my plants.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    13 years ago

I would not use tap water at all, unless it comes from a well. There is too much crap in tap water to kill the plant. Chlorine or Chloramines and other natural stuff.

Start collecting rainwater. Distilled water is fine though.

• taz6122
    13 years ago

Tommy did you miss the part about 40ppm?

• petiolaris
    13 years ago

The one thing that bothers me about ppm is that it doesn't tell you what the 'parts' are. I would stop using the tap water and go with a combination of collected rainwater, preferably in plastic totes, and distilled water.

• kenzola863
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks guys for the advice, I am definitly going to start using more distilled and rain water, but also am going to check up on my well water. It isnt being used for anything so I might as well check the hardness of it and possibily use that when I am in a bind.

Sponsored