Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cephalotus

Posted by squim4 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 30, 07 at 12:30

I have always wanted a cephalotus, but never seemed to get one. Just want to know if anyone has one, and how much they paid for it. (i hear they are pretty expensive). How well is it doing, and is the money worth it?

Just a little curious, thanks,
Squim4

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cephalotus

I paid $25.00 for my typical and $25.00 for my 'Hummer's Giant'. Both where tiny plants when I got them. They will cost much more if you get a larger plant. I've had the typical over 3 years now and the 'HG' over 2 years. Both are doing great. Are they worth the money...... heck ya.

Here's a pic of my typical:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

And the 'HG' which has more color:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I grow both plants in a terrarium. The lighting I use 1 - 40 watt 67,000K / 10,000K Sunpaq bulb and 1 - 15 watt Flora Sun bulb. I water them twice a week. The soil mix is equal parts perlite, peat moss, and LFS. I have also used equal parts perlite, peat moss and sand. I have not found one soil mix better then the other.

o

wow, those look awesome! Where did you get them?

o

The typical I got from Cook's.
The 'HG' I got from a visit to John Hummer's place. John did not have any for sale, but a friend of his, Charles Brewer, brought some along.

John Hummer's 2005
http://elgecko.proboards28.com/index.cgi?board=OtherCP&action=display&thread=1118703997

John Hummer's 2006
http://elgecko.proboards28.com/index.cgi?board=OtherCP&action=display&thread=1152497478

I will be visiting John this year on July 21st.

o

Hi
Since you're growing in a terrarium does this mean they don't have a cool period?? I've heard that it was not necessary but the temps drop into the 30's in their natural range. if so sounds like a good choice for me since I'm in s florida. gary

o

garyfla,
That is correct.
I have thought about taking one of them and placing it my unheated garage where I place the Sarrs and VFTs in the winter to see how the plant would respond.

o

Hi
So that means while a cool rest period is not necessary you feel it would benifit from it?? your pix look like very healthy plants . How long have you had them???
Sorry to be such a pest but I'm in 10 florida and the majority of non tropical CP"s languish here .
Since cephalotus is rather expensive thought it good to check them out first. thanks gary

o

Gary,
I've been growing them over 3 years in a terrarium.
I do not know if a rest period would be beneficial or not. It's an experiment that I thought about trying sometime to see if there would be a difference.
One thing I think might happen with a cool period would be that the plant would produce leaves. It's not necessary, but makes propagating the plant much easier. :-)
My plants hardly ever makes leaves and that's the only way I'm able to propagate the plant. Pitcher cuttings all fail for me.

o

Hi
very interesting never heard that about them. From what i can gather Cape Albany is quite similar to s. florida. There is a short mild cool period but never freezes.
Three years should be more than long enough for a problem to arise. Think I'll check into them further they certainly are a fantastic plant. Good luck with yours and thanks very much for the info.. gary

o

I got mine from elgecko!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here