Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sarracenia seedling question

Posted by carnivoor (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 8, 08 at 13:18

After reading mutant's post about his sarr seedlings I wondered.

I have several packages of sarr seeds in the fridge at the moment and in 3 weeks or so I will have to put the first batch in the ground . I realized I have no idea how long it takes for sarracenias from seed to flower.
I'm assuming from mutants pictures I won't have to expect any before the 3rd year,maybe even longer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sarracenia seedling question

Hello Carnivoor,

It will take them a whole year just to get big enough to trap sugar ants... so yes, they take a long time to mature. My largest now is about 5 inches across, but its traps are just 2-3 inches long and just barely big enough to trap small flies and spiders. Sarracenias take about 5 years on average to mature to flowering age. You can shorten this time slightly by foregoing winter once or twice while they are young, which really does not harm young plants so much. After a couple years you will certainly need to give them dormancy cues if they are not grown outside by that time. You can grow them inside in astrong florescent and south window light for a couple years too, but direct sun outside is always preferable for larger Sarracenias.

Do you have the packages in moist paper towels or in moist sphagnum moss? If not, the cold from the fridge will not stratify them properly. Stratification takes cool, wet conditions for about 8-12 weeks to work.

o
RE: Sarracenia seedling question

They're in moist sphagnum moss in little plastic bags.
I just hope they do well once I get them out of there and put them in pots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here