Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
floral_mystique

overcrowding in the sundew pots

floral_mystique
17 years ago

HEllo,

My Names Matteo, I purchased 4 drosera Capensis and 3 Drosera Binata about a month ago, and now they are growing in my terrerium, the problem is that I left the Nursery with only two pots in hand and 7 plants in total. The pots are about three inches wide and three inches tall, I want to individually pot up my sundews, but I'm not sure when the right time to do this would be. California Carnivores told me that D. Binata requires a winter dormancy with reduced photoperiod, so I'm assuming late winter would be good time to transplant them, but since D. Capensis never seems to go dormant when would be the best time to do this?

thank you for any help that can be offered.

~Matteo a.k.a. the Floral Mystique

Comments (6)

• ilbasso_74
    17 years ago

I have no experience with the Binatas, but my Capensis collection is also getting out of control. I have purchased three of them and now have a total of 7 with a tiny baby plant just emerging today. I don't think that it really matters for them. I do know that they have VERY long roots and I can't imagine a little pot is very comfortable for them. I need to repot soon to eliminate crowding in the one container and figured that I'd just do it when a good container became available.

My Sarrs have had chipmunks digging in their pots so much that some have require repotting a few times this spring. Most seem ok.

• petiolaris
    17 years ago

D. capensis is an excellent plant for a window sill, all year round. D. binata does well on a window sill and outside. I grow my binatas outside when the lowest temps of the day are at least 40. When fall comes and the lows are going to below 40, I bring the plant into the attic, by a south window sill for the winter. The leaves die back but when the photoperiod increases, the plant wakes up. I have the binatas in bucket, along with other dormancy requiring plants, like D. filiformis, Sarracenias, D. intermedia, and rotundifolia.

• corymbosa
    17 years ago

Matteo,
    I assume they're multiple numbers of the same type of capensis and binata. D.capensis and D.binata propagate from the smallest piece of root so if you mix different forms/subspecies of those species you'll struggle to separate them out in the future.

Both capensis and binata will grow well if multiple plants are put into the same pot. D.binata is so prolific at reproducing from root cuttings that it's hard to avoid a single potted plant turning into a congested clump in the long term. D.binata certainly looks more impressive when allowed to spread throughout the pot.

With D.capensis I have noticed that the plants potted up singly are invariably larger when compared to multiple plants in the pot, presumably due to the roots not being resticted by potmates. Still, group planted capensis grow, flower and remain healthy albeit slightly stunted. Whether you want a single large plant of a sea of leaves is up to your own tastes.

As for when to repot, late winter/early spring is the best time for binata. If the capensis is inside you can repot any time. If it's outside, spring is probably the best time as it has the rest of the growing period to settle in before the winter months set it back.

• floral_mystique
    Original Author
    17 years ago

hmmm so any time then, I guess I'll wait till my temperates go down for the winter, that way there will be room in my terrerium, it's only a 10 gallon tank. I guess I'll wait till February to trantsplant my Binatas. Windows aren't an option Petiolaris, heck humidity isn't even an option here lol, so they need to be in terreriums 24/7.

• floral_mystique
    Original Author
    17 years ago

oh my, that answers every question I had, thank you all so very much. I have to agree that Binata looks great spread through out a pot, infact the three I have are poring out over the sides and it's stunning, I'm just concerned that the pot is so small, if they had more room I would be happy, same with the Capensis, but they are cramped like there is no tomorrow, and the three older plants are drowning out a baby, and the depth of the pots is what I'm really concerned about, they're about three inches deep, that's like a three year old in a new born's diapers, OUCH lol

• corymbosa
    17 years ago

3" is a little small and you'd definitely want something bigger in the long term. Bigger pots mean bigger plants but it will suffice for 3-4 plants for a season or so until you get something bigger. Both capensis and binata have thin leaves so they won't smother each other. The roots may try to compete for space though. When the plants are a little older (and bigger) I'd be moving up to 4" pots at least.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner