Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
questions.

Posted by rye_rye none (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 14, 13 at 14:45

hello, i am in love with all carnivorous plants. i am not smart with these plants at all, though i wish to be some day. the last time i owned a VFT was in kindergarten, YEARS ago. so it had been a while since i have even touched or seen a carnivorous plants.

well, i have a few questions about them before i get one. i live in oklahoma, where the weather is all over the place. you never know what it is going to be like the next day. one week it was in the eighties then the next day it dropped to the forties. so my plant would have to be inside. we also live near a forest, with a abandoned house next door to ours, so we get a variety of bugs inside our home. you name it, we probably have seen it in our home. my little five year old brother has arachnophobia so he hates spiders, and we see at least two a day. at night he is scared of spiders crawling on him, so i thought a VFT or another carnivorous plant would help calm him down, even if it couldn't catch ever bug that came in house. anyway, i think i should start with the questions i have.

Will dogs or cats be highly interested in one of these plants, and try to knock it over, or chew on it?

Can i only get them online?

Any hints or tips to help me out?

What plant should i start with, as a starter plant?

thank you for any help you may give me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: questions.

• Posted by tomr Z6 NY (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 15, 13 at 10:31

I would NOT grow VFTs indoors. that said you can try some tropical Sundews Like Adelae or Capensis indoors. They like bright indirect Sun. Rain or distilled water ONLY. I buy from Sarracenia Northwest.

Cats may mess with them, they like ANY plant. Dogs maybe not so much.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here