Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seaecho1

Nepenthes Judith Finn anyone?

seaecho1
18 years ago

Does anyone grow this charming Nep? I've fallen in love, and want to get one. I've heard its pretty tough, and good for a beginner. And that's definitely what I am! Any feedback would be great! Thanks!

Randi

Comments (11)

• Sebastian
    18 years ago

It is tough. I was an irresponsible nep keeper this past winter and didn't give it the humidity it needed for many months, but it stubbornly stuck around. Now, I'm trying to make up for it!

Trent

• seaecho1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you, guys!

Randi

• necro1234
    18 years ago

Hey trentboy

Just came across this post.
    I asked both CaliforniaCarnivores and CobraPlant which Nep would they suggest for my dry area here in Salt Lake, indoors with all my plants the humdity shoots up to about 40% now.
    My N. Ventricosa (the poor hail storm victim) is growing well (but slowly).
    The Suggestions where N. Judith Finn and N. Sanguinea
    I read what you said about the humidity thing.
    They said these plants are both tough and vigorous growers, now my Ventricosa seems fine with the 40% it is getting.
    The leaves are a beutiful waxy green, the pitchers are a loverly pink and 1/3rd full of the plants own juices.
    I do foliar feed my plants and keep the soil media moist.
    What kind of humidity was your plants getting when you were "irresonsible"? and what were the effects.

Thanx

Sheldon

• Sebastian
    17 years ago

Hey Sheldon,

Amazing...I'm coming across your post more than a year later!

So much has happened since the Summer of 2005, but my Judith Finn is still around. I didn't give it enough light for MONTHS, and so I cut it back earlier this year because it got too gangly/sickly looking as a result. Also, I'm sure I damaged a bunch of its roots when I transplanted it to another pot. I've generally been kind of rough with it because I decided at one point that I'd had enough of the pampering (of all of my plants).

Well...now it's simply sitting on a bright windowsill--no humidity tray, no misting, no distilled/rain water, no watering tray/saucer, no controlled air temperature--and it's putting out leaves and pitchers like there's no tomorrow. I run New York City tap water through the pot when the soil gets dry, and that's about it. It's also been pretty dry in the room the past few weeks--my Judith sits maybe 2 feet from a radiator--so I have no idea why my plant is loving life...but I'm thrilled, of course! :)

Trent

• jonocross
    17 years ago

I didn't notice how old this line was until someone mentioned it. LOL. I personally have 4 judith finn... got them all from a local source and all four started out with about 3-4 little leaves. They've all been growing the last few months. Still very little luck on pitchers. Don't get me wrong, they do produce small ones, they just don't come very fast. I think I have a couple older pics up at my web site if anyone wants to see.

They're not really a faveorite thus far but that may be because I have several larger neps with more impressive growth at the moment.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tangled Web of Aracknight

• jonocross
    17 years ago

Ok, on an added note... no sooner than I put my little neps down, they showed me who's boss. One of my Judith Finn turned around and I swear it had to be within two days of that last post I made, started making it's first pitcher bigger than an inch.

I must say, I'm at least starting to really notice the little guys.

• petiolaris
    17 years ago

I only have a few Neps.... the easy ones - ventrata, Judith Finn, sanguinea, and ventricosa. They tolerate being in the bathroom window and stop pitchering when the natural photoperiod is at its lowest.

{{gwi:555377}}

{{gwi:547540}}

{{gwi:548859}}

{{gwi:554303}}

{{gwi:546278}}

• jonocross
    17 years ago

Neps are my weakness... I wish I only had "a few". Everytime I go out looking for a new plant, I come home with at least one Nepenthes along with it. (notice I don't buy them instead of other plants but it never fails that I buy them too LOL)

Just the other day I was placing an order for some dormant bare root sarracenia when I made the mistake of opening the nepenthes page. Next thing I know I have 6 sarracenia and 4 new neps comming. On the plus side a couple of my older plants are getting big enough to take cuttings from.

I guess that's another reason why the Judith Finns were such a nusance to me. I bought them back when I had only a couple nepenthes and now that I'm getting more and more plants, 4 of a single species seems a little over the top. They're not bad plants. I've been happy to watch them grow since I got them. They're just not my "first choice" when it comes to a nepenthes wish list. Within the past month I've added 8 new neps to my collection and space just keeps getting tighter and tighter.

• nepenthes_ceasar
    16 years ago

i'd take any judith finns. ive noticed that my little plants need more humidity and grow pitchers more slowly than big ones. or big ones ive heard about. well, my big alata should be shipped pretty soon so well see.

• nepenthes_ceasar
    16 years ago

as for nep addiction, i never buy anything else!

Sponsored