Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_girl_gw

Newbie saying 'Hi and thanks'

the_girl
15 years ago

Just wanted to say hi and thanks to all the members on this board. I'm getting my first CP(s) in 6 days and I used a lot of these posts to research. I figured since I live in hot, humid, sticky, buggy Louisiana, I could do well with a few little green monsters.

The only access I have are the Cube-of-Death ones from Lowe's but I asked when the next shipment will be and on the 9th, I'll hopefully get first pick of their VFTs and maybe some sundews so hopefully they'll be slightly better off.

I do have a small question, though. I know if I buy a sundew I'll have an easier time since it uses indirect sunlight but now I'm hesitant about getting a VFT. I'm going to an in-state college in August and I'm unsure if I can give a VFT the light it needs in my new apartment. I don't know if I can afford to keep a fluorescent light on it all the time or if I can keep it outdoors long enough without some idiot kicking it over or playing with it. Do you think I should just scrap those plans or buy it anyways and see what I can do for it?

Comments (12)

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    15 years ago

Forget the VFT if you can't give it full, all day Sun. Get the Sundews, they do great in a window indoors!

• the_girl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Eh, that's what I was afraid of. I'm sure I'll love my little sundew but I had my heart set on a VFT which was going to be named Munch. I don't think I could trust leaving it home and letting my father make sure it's watered correctly til I get back. Knowing him, it'll end up getting a huge deadly gulping of hose water before it suffers root rot.

• petiolaris
    15 years ago

I would go with Tommy's advice, although, being in Louisiana, you can plant the VFT in a minibog and leave it outside. The sundew, likely a D. adelae, will do well on a window sill.

{{gwi:555409}}

{{gwi:430150}}

{{gwi:428435}}

{{gwi:428437}}

Whatcha majoring in?

• nycti
    15 years ago

Welcome to the forum Girl,

How about a Mexican Ping or a Nepenthes. Both can be grown in window sunlight and as with all cps, including the sundews, you may have to use some fluorescent lighting. It will depend on the amount of sunlight and time of year. Neither the Mexican Pings or the Nepenthes need a dormancy period.

Let us know what you decide on and remember this hobby is addicting. :) (smile)

Nycti

• the_girl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm definitely sticking with a sundew, if it's d. adelae. I've already started gathering supplies for it - I pre-mixed soil and I stole a wide, 6 inch plastic to-go cup and a plastic to-go box lid from work to use as a pot and tray when it gets strong enough (I'm a waitress) - I just need to poke drainage holes in it.

I'm still kind of confused on the brand of water to get for it. I can find distilled water but when I check the labels I get hesitant cause I'm not sure if there are still harmful minerals and whatnot in it - not sure if "distilled and sodium free" is enough when I read the jugs.

I'm excited though. I can't wait til next week to bring it home and start acclimating it. I just hope it doesn't die on me.

• mcantrell
    15 years ago

If it says "Distilled" I'm pretty sure it means it's pure distilled water, I don't think they're allowed to call something Distilled if it's not pure like that.

I use just some off-brand stuff from WinCo around here. $0.75 for a gallon. Since I'm up to 5 gallons every other week, it might be time to start looking into an RO machine, heh.

• petiolaris
    15 years ago

You can also use deionized water from the lab at the college. That could be free.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    15 years ago

Also rainwater of coarse!

• petiolaris
    15 years ago

And I also us a nearby creek, but that's more of a gamble. I would really look into the Chemistry Department's laboratory. They should have deionized or RO or distilled water there and you can probably fill up a gallon jug every once in awhile.

What's your major?

• the_girl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm an English major headed for publishing and editing, ideally.

• petiolaris
    15 years ago

I guess I had better not dangle any participles! My wife is an English Literature major.

I've been to Louisiana, twice. I stayed at a hotel called the Ponchertrain the one time and at a Holodome in Monroe the other. I also had my first taste of the local cuisine - etouffe, gumbo, Blackened catfish, a bucket of crawdads,...

I could never live there, year round. The heat and humidity would destroy all my energy! I'll take Buffalo snow to summer swelter!

• mutant_hybrid
    15 years ago

I agree with the previous replies. Try the D. adelaes for now and a Venus Flytrap later when you have the capacity to add florescent lights for indoor growing in a south window, or outside growing ideally. Mine grows well indoors with 12000 lumens of florescent light and a south window. The D. adelaes do appreciate lots of light, but do burn in direct sunlight. A south window and 6000 lumens of florescent light is about the most I would give them as mine develops very vivid purplish hues and an extraordinary amount of dew in such light. Much more and they would probably burn. The good thing about D. adelae is that once you get their conditions right they will clone themselves into instant gifts for family and friends. They are almost impossible to kill as long as they get mineral free water, some good light, and plenty of space in a fertilizer free mix of sphagnum peat and perlite.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH