Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
corey87

Newbie to Venus fly trap

Corey87
9 years ago

What should be done in regards to placement and reporting for this plant. As well as the upkeep and care

Comments (5)

• writer333
    9 years ago

Hi there, and congrats on getting a new VFT.

I would probably leave it in the pot it is in now, since it looks to be the correct size and it is made of plastic; unless the potting medium you have it in is incorrect. I usually use perlite and peat mixed together in equal amounts, though some people use other ingredients.

I also use the tray method of watering, with distilled water, but if you leave it outside rainwater works just as well, if not better. Raising the humidity in the growing area would help, too. And most importantly, do not be afraid to give your trap lots and lots of light.

• zachary95
    9 years ago

Im also new to the vft's and was wondering how much fluorescent light they should have with a 5000k daylight bulb. Ive just been leaving it on from sun up to sun down so about 6am to 9pm. Its getting its red color inside but idk what it all needs in terms of artificial light.
    -sorry for asking on a thread but we both might need that info.

• zachary95
    9 years ago

Sorry it double posted. Stupid tablet lol.

This post was edited by zachary95 on Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 21:10

• Corey87
    Original Author
    9 years ago

From my understanding vft do not need fluorescent lighting. Plenty of sun light is all this plant needs to grow.

• zachary95
    9 years ago

I'm a college student and don't have the lighting I need for sunlight because of the u-pattern of the dorms. All I can provide it wit is fluorescent lighting from a desk lamp. The bulb is 5000k daylight bulb and the inside of the trap is turning red which it should be.