Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie to Venus fly trap

Posted by Corey87 none (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 27, 14 at 17:29

What should be done in regards to placement and reporting for this plant. As well as the upkeep and care

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie to Venus fly trap

Hi there, and congrats on getting a new VFT.

I would probably leave it in the pot it is in now, since it looks to be the correct size and it is made of plastic; unless the potting medium you have it in is incorrect. I usually use perlite and peat mixed together in equal amounts, though some people use other ingredients.

I also use the tray method of watering, with distilled water, but if you leave it outside rainwater works just as well, if not better. Raising the humidity in the growing area would help, too. And most importantly, do not be afraid to give your trap lots and lots of light.

o

Im also new to the vft's and was wondering how much fluorescent light they should have with a 5000k daylight bulb. Ive just been leaving it on from sun up to sun down so about 6am to 9pm. Its getting its red color inside but idk what it all needs in terms of artificial light.
-sorry for asking on a thread but we both might need that info.

o

Sorry it double posted. Stupid tablet lol.

This post was edited by zachary95 on Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 21:10

o

From my understanding vft do not need fluorescent lighting. Plenty of sun light is all this plant needs to grow.

o

I'm a college student and don't have the lighting I need for sunlight because of the u-pattern of the dorms. All I can provide it wit is fluorescent lighting from a desk lamp. The bulb is 5000k daylight bulb and the inside of the trap is turning red which it should be.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here