Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Desert cps and Sarr ID

Posted by nycti 9 (land of the oven) (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 19, 08 at 19:22

Hi Everyone,

So far, it is possible to grow cps in the Phoenix desert. I still have my VFTs and the 2 Sarrs growing outside, watching them day by day for any "toaster" effect. The temps here have been 110 or higher 6 days in a row. The humidity between 3% to 8% during the day. I water in the morning and evening, misting them heavily in the evening. I have a 75% shade screen over the plants from noon on through the day. The shade screen is keeping the media cool enough, not having to use ice cubes. I had read to keep the water levels down in the trays, that the water will hold heat. I understand that theory but it didn't seem to work for me. The media remains damp and cool, the plants just do better with water up 1/3 to 1/2 of the pots. I started with cps last summer so this is more an experimental summer for me.

VFTs at 113 degrees yesterday. Growing well, good green color but not much color in the traps. Not sure why that is.
VFTs 6-08

This Sarr I purchased February 8 from Home Depot, labeled Sweet Pitcher Plant, Sarracenia Purpurea. I posted a pic here in Feb. possible IDs were Judith Hindle or Dana's Delight, also was the suggestion to let it grow a bit then try for an ID. Here it is growing outside since March 30. Any ideas on ID?
Sarr 6-08

Any help or suggestions appreciated.
Anyone know of any cp clubs, groups, organizations in Phoenix or in the state of Arizona?

Stay cool :),
Nycti

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Desert cps and Sarr ID

The Sarracenia is either Dana's delight or Judith Hindle.. I think.

o
RE: Desert cps and Sarr ID

Hi nycti
& Thanks for sharing your results. I have similar concerns in inland SoCali where warm media seems to have paralyzed my first Sarrecenia. A "Full (desert) sun" recommendation seems problematic with cp trays.
And I feel a much lighter soil than 50/50 is indicated for increased evaporative cooling. Some proportion of fibers much longer than occurs in pulverized peat will also be an asset to cooler soil.

Presently I'm cooling my trays by increasing the tray evaporation rate. Various mulches [pumice, some barks] around pots can increase wet surface area, cooling trays several degrees. Terra-cotta bowls in place of trays do the same. But watch barks that contain killer tannin levels (eg dark oaks).

Looking to conditions within bogs, I can see that transpiration from grasses grown in the Sarr pot- particularly around edges- should also help lower media temps.
I'm considering a further experiment: a dedicated outer-pot of native bog grasses held close around smaller cp pots. Sarrs certainly won't mind some shading, and they'd make effective visual complements.

Now I have a question for you: I suspect these might do as well grown through my mild winters. I'll see a local ground-hugging frost a few days at most; but it's yet to affect my tropicals. Do you see any indication your zone-9 plants will adapt to growing year-round in "time-share" (with half the roots in forced summer-dormancy), or do your cp enjoy a clear outdoors dormancy?

Thanx again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here