Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
echinocactus04

The Infamous Cube....

echinocactus04
16 years ago

Good evening to all,

It seems that more gift plants have made their way into my home. I'm referring to the Lowe's 3 in 1 cube that I saw mentioned earlier. Although I love them dearly, I'm concerned of their health because they are growing rapidly, and I'm already having trouble putting the top back on because the plants are in the way. It also appears that the plants have three different requirements regarding temperature, dormancy, etc.

The cube came with a Sundew, VFT, and a pitcher plant. So this brings me to my questions....

How will I know when/if they need repotted?

Is it possible to separate the three of them without killing them?

Do they even need a cover?

My apologies, for I'm new to these plants. Many thanks!

~Anthony

Comments (8)

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

I would repot them all, since they have differing summer, winter, lighting, and drainage requirements. VFT's should be outside. Neps do well in hanging baskets.

• ilbasso_74
    16 years ago

Which pitcher plant? I've gotten that same combination and it was the Purple Pitcher. I am happy to say that that plant is in its second year after surviving a northern Ohio winter and pitchers like crazy.

Getting to that, however, is going to be tricky. Leave the top open slightly for a day or so. Then open it a little bit more for a few days and so on. You need to get them as far away from that death cube as possible but they need to be gradually acclimated to the outside humidty. If they start to wilt, close the lid a little and continue opening it more slowly.

After they can survive in the cube "topless", get your pots ready to transplant them. Make sure the soil mix is the right one. The VFT and a purple pitcher can exist together in a larger pot if you want, but the sundew is more than likely a "Lance Leaf Sundew" (D adelae)and has to stay inside under lights or at the window (east is a good one). If the "pitcher plant" is a tropical one (it should say that on the label or "nepenthes") it will have to stay inside when the weather gets cold and will need its own pot.

In the meantime, keep the moss in that cube nice and wet with purified, distilled or rain water only.

What kind of light are you keeping it in?

NO it does NOT need a cover, but the plants are hooked on it and need "detox". The sundew can do well in a terrarium if you want, but it isn't needed. I have D adelae both in a tank and out and they're all fine.

When separating them, just be gentle with the roots and all should be ok. The sundew may show some signs of stress from repotting, but it may be ok. It'll pop back though.

Good luck and keep us updated. It sounds like they're pretty nice plants to be popping out of the cube already. You should be happy once they're safely on the outside. At least until winter. Then it gets fun!

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

If it is a D. adelae it responds to repotting rather well from my experiences. They root rather readily and extensively and repotting often causes them to sprout clones from their roots.

The Venus Flytrap can be adapted to outside full sun slowly too. They are in a dome now so the light is not optimal. I would slowly acclimate the Venus Flytrap over a couple of weeks to higher intensity light after the dome is off by placing it in a pot in an east window for one week, a south window for the second week, making sure the windows get direct sun hitting them, then outside in full sun. It needs to adapt to ultraviolet radiation and even with slow adaptation will experience some leaf burn until it's new leaves grow in.

If the Pitcher plant is a Cobra Plant or Purple Pitcher, it will need to be adapted to low humidity and full sun too. In the Cobra Plant's case, it will need cool water running over it's roots several times a day in well drained media of 1/3 peat moss and 2/3 perlite. Check to see what kind of Pitcher Plant you have from sites like cobraplant.com and check out any care sheets or info on them so you can double check their requirments. A Purple Pitcher will need almost identical environs as the Venus Flytrap but is more winter hardy.

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

Here are some of my cube purchases:

{{gwi:429718}}VFT & S. purpurea

{{gwi:546987}}P. primuliflora

{{gwi:546278}}N. sanguinea

{{gwi:430450}}D. californica

{{gwi:430450}}D. adelae

{{gwi:548173}}D. spatulata

{{gwi:547541}}N. ventrata

They've all been repotted. As long as you prepare a pot beforehand and remove the plant with as much soil as possible, as if being one unit, their roots won't be disturbed. If it was a fresh shipment, you can easily remove the plastic cover and put at a window sill. It's the neglected plants that require more careful acclimation.

• squim4
    16 years ago

this is kinda off topic, but what i have found is that if you go to lowes or home depo, and find a dying plant, you can go up to a sales rep and ask em for a discount. I have gotten several pitcher plants (sar. and nepenthes) for as cheap as 3 bucks that have grown back fine in the right conditions.

• elvinwei
    16 years ago

damn you people! Lowes doesn't sell these so called cubes of death here in California!!
    i envy you!!!!!!

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    16 years ago

I find d. adelae prolific in new plant production! Baby plants will even grow out of the bottom DRAIN holes! I love them!

Tom

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

I've bargained with them as well. I once found a 3 in 1 cube that appeared to have just the cobra lily in it and asked for a discount. When I repotted, I discovered that both the VFT & D. adelae were buried in the media, all white from no light.

elvinwei: Perhaps Osh has some?

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022