Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
31bert

Re-potting Asian Pitcher Plant

Bert31
16 years ago

I was wondering how I can find instructions on re-potting an Asian Pitcher plant. I have an asian pitcher plant that is about 6 inches high and it is is getting leggy. The bottom 3 inch's of the stem has turned brown and I was wondering if I can repot it and cover the stem up to the lower set of leaves without killing it.

Comments (2)

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

Hello ajm51,

Asian Pitcher Plants grow like vines, so that brown base to the plant stalk is normal. From there it will begin to grow new vines from it's roots in all directions and you will not see that "leggy" growth anymore as it will be covered by leafy growth. There is no need to plant the vine deeper.

Just repot it in a larger pot like you would a houseplant. Use Nepenthes media found on online carnivorous plant nurseries or make your own using the dry bale of Canadian sphagnum peat moss/ coconut husk/ and orchid bark in 1/3 mix for each ingredient. Nepenthes need well drained acid soil with a lot of air spaces so their roots can breathe and keep from waterlogging.

When repotting, just tap on the pot and press the sides slightly to loosen the old soil, cover the base of the plant and old soil with one hand, then turn the pot upside down. The entire pot should empty in your hand with the plant firm and safe. All of the fluid will spill out all over your hands and it will be sticky and full of insects, but it will not hurt anything and the plant will make more fluid in a few days after it is reestablished in it's new pot. Tease away the old soil carefully by washing the roots in a tray of distilled water. The roots are very breakable and will snap easily but this will not hurt the plant as long as too many are not damaged all at once. Replant it in the new soil by filling the new pot and making a depression deep enough for the plant's roots and then carefully begin filling in new soil around the roots until they are covered and firmly held in place. Make sure the new soil is damp before your repot the plant. Nepenthes are tolerant of repotting.

Make sure none of the soil ingredients you use have any fertilizers, additives, or salts in them as those will harm the plant.

• Bert31
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mutant Hybrid

Thank You that is very helpful and exactly what I needed to know.

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA