Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fly Trap Closing by Itself

Posted by writer333 Zone 4 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 14, 14 at 21:52

About a week and a half ago, I received a Venus Fly Trap through the mail. It was pretty healthy, and has been growing very fast :) But I now see that one of the smaller traps near the bottom of the plant seems to be slowly closing over the course of a few days. The trap itself appears healthy, and has no rot or other decay.

Is this behavior normal, or should I be worried? Thank you for your time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fly Trap Closing by Itself

It's probably fine. Are you sure it's closing by itself? Or maybe it's opening.

o

No, I think it's an older trap, one of the smaller ones near the bottom. It looks more closed than when I got it, and I read that sometimes a trap ends up dying. But this could be from it putting on new growth, perhaps. Oh well, the plant itself seems to be very healthy. Thank you for your reply.

o

Flytrap's traps will eventually lose their ability to function as a trap. They can only open and close a certain number of times. Don't worry, this is perfectly natural and new traps will grow and replace the older ones. Just leave the old traps as they are, they will still continue to photosynthesize and provide energy to your plant. Or, if the trap has died back, then just pinch them off and leave the rest of the leaf to provide energy as well. Once the whole leaf has died back, you can trim all of it away. Just make sure to wait until it's completely died back before removing it. So your flytrap can reabsorb any reusable nutrients back, to use elsewhere within your plant. :)

o

Yeah, the trap hasn't closed any more since I first posted. I did have to remove a few of them after it shipped, since they had started turning black; I figured that such an effect was most likely due to the plant being in a dark box with a dome over it for a few days. At any rate, there are quite a few little stalks starting to come up, so hopefully in a few weeks it will have even more traps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here