Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twizzlesticks

I think bugs are eating my VFT

twizzlesticks
16 years ago

I noticed that my Venus Fly Trap's leaves were starting to turn black and die but I didn't worry too much because the leaves on my other trap often die and new ones replace them. This trap still had some new growth coming through the soil so I wasn't worried. Then the other day I noticed that the new growth hadn't even matured and it had started to turn black already, so I took a look at the roots to make sure there was no rot and it was fine, but I saw all these little bugs moving in the soil that I had moved away. I decided to put it outside so I could get rid of the old soil and put new stuff in and when I took the plant out there was a worm in the soil, it looked like a cutworm, and there were little green worms near the roots. What should I do to get rid of all these bugs that won't hurt the plant? I think that whatever the insects are they are eating the roots because it seems to be dying. I have no idea were the worms came from they must have been in the soil I used even though it was bought especially for them. Now I am worried that my other fly trap might have the same problem because I used the same soil. Its just starting to grow again after a dry spell and it is doing well so I don't want to disturb it to check for worms. Should I treat the other plant for these insects even though I don't know for sure if it has any? What should I do?? They are so hard to find I don't want to lose them!!

Comments (5)

Sponsored