Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
Acid rain?

Posted by poolboy101 Tx 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 9, 07 at 0:03

I live in a place where we have a lot or chemical plants for processing oil and what not. I set out a large bucket to catch rain water. When I told my brother the bucket was for catching rain water which is mineral free he told me I was wrong and the water is not totally pure like distilled water. He said acid rain would hurt my plants. (He has no CP or gardening experience at all) I set my S. Purpurea and VFT outside and I don't want them to die from the rain water it may receive. Because it rains alot where I live. Should I actually be worried? Is it really going to kill my plant?


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: Acid rain?

Most CP's require an acidic environment, so that isn't an issue. What might be is what that rainwater may contain. You either guess that it will be okay or have your water tested. A friend of mine from Burbank says that rainwater is unsuitable for her CP's. If you don't have a lot of plants, gallon jugs of distilled water from the grocery store is safe.


 o
RE: Acid rain?

I have been using distilled water, but my main concern is that when it rains it will hurt my plants. I would rather spend money on water than get free water and kill my plants. lol I was wondering if the residual rain water in my soil from a day of rain hurt?


 o
RE: Acid rain?

I think the side of caution is usually the best. When I was wondering about my local water, I simply called the water works and they had already done a local report so it was just a matter of asking them for the findings. If your area has an issue with acid rain, they may have information on what's in it and ppm already.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aracknight's Deadly Delights


 o
RE: Acid rain?

If you are concerned, you could always flush your pots out with distilled water after rains. I've heard of lots of people watering nepenthes with tap water and flushing the pots out regularly to remove anything that may be in the soil.

I'm too chicken to try it myself.


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here