Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bugman_gw

Just got a Nepenthes alata! need help!

bugman
16 years ago

I just got a Nepenthes alata from a friend who no longer wanted the plant. It claims it is a Nepenthes alata, but I've heard of stores selling something that is not what it says. It looks more like a hybrid between alata and something else. The person had it potted in POTTING SOIL and were watering it with TAP WATER. I'm surprised it's still alive..... Anyway, I repotted it with half and half perlite and peat moss. Is this ok or will it get too soggy? Also is it a lowland or highland? I would post a picture but my digital camera is not working properly. I will try to find a picture of what it looks like on the Internet. On the tag of the plant it showa an alata looking pitcher that is a yellow color on the top that turns to a more red color towards the bottom. I hope this might help in identifying it. All the pitchers it had are brown and they were so huge!:( It makes me sad.....

Comment (1)

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

Hi bugman,

You could have a N. ventrata which is a hybrid of alata and ventricosa. In any case, they all require similar care and are good plants for indoor growing. Good thinking on getting it out of the potting soil. One good thing about Nepenthes is that they are more tolerant of hard water than other carnivorous plants, so they can hold out longer.

As for soil, you will have to change out the perlite every year as that breaks down and becomes toxic to Nepenthes. What a lot of people use is a 1/3 mix each of orchid bark, coconut husk, and peat moss. That mix gives maximum drainage and supplies acidic soil at the same time. Nepenthes like their roots in moist soil, but hate standing water, so never leave a tray under the pot, just let it drain out. Water it once every 2-4 days as a house plant. It is a highland, so is less finicky than the ultr-highlands. It can adapt to a range of temperatures and humidity levels. Give it good partial sun in a morning or all day sun window. They typically live near trees, so they would get direct sun for a short time through the leaves and branches of the trees and shading part of time each day. Try to replicate those conditions or go with about 6000-12000 lumens of florescent shop lights or 100 watt compact florescent lights about 5-6 inches from the plant.

Mist it once a day to raise the ambient humidity a bit for a few hours.

After that care, just leave it alone and watch it catch all of the flies and roaches.

Sponsored