Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmach_gw

Some new traps start to blacken at the very end

jmach
15 years ago

I'm sure the topic of blackening leaves has been brought up many times and I apologize for bringing it up again - I've done a forum search and Googled it a bit and I haven't found anything that quite explains my problem.

I have a Red Dragon that I purchased from Sarracenia Northwest a little over a month ago. It appears to be doing just fine (though it's not growing as fast as my other green plant), but every once in a while the top edge of the trap and part of the "spine" of the trap turns black (so, if you were looking at the open trap from the top, it would be the 'V' shape that turns black), and this slowly works its way down the trap.

It's very subtle at first (I initially confused it for the red color) but you can tell it's black. This starts happening after the trap has "unfolded". It doesn't happen on all the new traps (and none of the ones that have started turning black have caught anything - some of them aren't even open yet), but I'd just like to know what could be causing this.

Admittedly the plant doesn't get a whole lot of light; it sits in an adequately bright windowsill with a 100-watt equivelant CFL (that I use for both my flytraps). Both plants are in the potting medium that Sarr. NW uses (I ordered some soil to repot my other one), and I use distilled water. My other plant does not have this problem. My initial thought was that it was getting "burned" by the sun/heat coming through the window, but I thought that would be dumb as it needs just about as much sun as it can get.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living