Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Baby Sundews (pic)

Posted by lindaflower z8 DFW TX (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 18, 06 at 0:27

Hi all - My lanceleaf is having babies. I just got it about 2 weeks ago and repotted it and there are babies growing around the rim of the pot.

Should I transplant them or is it okay for them to get a little crowded first?

I imagine to remove them now I could just pinch a gob of sphagnum moss at their base and pull it out(?)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Baby Sundews (pic)

They're literally connected to the roots of the parent plant. I would leave them as is. They'll be fine.

o

Oh, okay. I thought sundews spread by seeds and was not aware that they spread by underground runners. I'd hate to pinch them out and not have good root development on their own.

Thanks!

I'm a Grandma! And triplets!

I was at Lowes today and saw a d. Californica that was fried. I pulled the leaves up (someone had already opened the cube... I swear) but there was no green stuff to salvage.

o

Sundews are an interesting genus. Some (pigmy) propogate by gemmae, while their seeds are pretty much useless.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Some do indeed are best with seeds (intermedia & anglica)

Some do best as leaf cuttings (filiformis & binata)

Some will spread through the roots (adelae)

And some can do seeds, cuttings, and roots (capensis)

Yup, sometimes it's a matter of good timing with the garden centers. Sounds like they are dew (sic) for a new shipment!

Here's one I salvaged from Lowes last summer:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here