Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'm Looking for Cobra Plants

Posted by CAST1 9b Arizona (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 24, 13 at 0:41

My younger brother is becoming interested in carnivorous plants and he asked for a cobra plant. What are some good websites that sell these?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'm Looking for Cobra Plants

Hey Cast, I seen some listed on ebay this morning, also some seed.

o

These are fairly picky plants and not for beginners. Try California Carnivors or Sarracenia Northwest.

o

Darlingtonia are a little more difficult than many carnivores. They like cool conditions and cool root run. They are also slow growers. They come from the Northern California coastal mountains where it is cloudy and cool all the time and their roots are in or near moving water.

Tough carnivorous plants are Nepenthes Miranda and Ventrata (often available at big box stores). Miranda has quite large, colorful pitchers. Highland and intermediate elevation Nepenthes are generally pretty easy to grow as long as you don't let temps get too low. They are not as picky about water as drosera and sarracenia. I live in San Diego where my water has over 700 TDS and I water them with tap water. They don't seem to care.

Sarracenias are also quite tough. Although in much of Arizona they will want shade to part shade due to lack of humidity and the amazing amount of sun and heat. These definitely need reverse osmosis, distilled or rain water if TDS is over 100.

Drosera binata are easy but pretty much disappear during winter. They also prefer to have some shade in hot, high light conditions. Drosera capensis is quite tough also.

Start with something that will be successful. Avoid Darlingtonia and Heliamphora until everybody is really into the hobby.

I can totally recommend the Mike Wang sarracenia at California Carnivores. Big beautiful and healthy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here