Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poolboy101

VFT closure

poolboy101
16 years ago

I have been watching some documentary videos on youtube and they always say that the struggling insect makes the VFT close tighter. It made since to me, but then people were saying that the trap would not fully close and digest a insect that is already dead because there is no movement. If this true? because I have plenty of house flies, but they stay in the kitchen. Is it ok to feed them flies that I might squash around the house If it hasn't caught any in a while?

also I bought a sundew and it had no Dew on it how long does it take to make the dew? and what species of sundew? (this is the only cp I bought that didn't have a species name, just Drosera)

{{gwi:557506}}

Thanks for any help

Comments (5)

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    16 years ago

Yes it's true. After the trap catches the bug, the bug HAS to trip the inside trip hairs again for it to start sealing up.

That is a lance leaf sundew. Have patients it'll make dew! Bright indirect light, no direct sun unless it's very early morning or very late afternoon sun. These are great plants and produce baby plants easily. I have one in flower right now;

{{gwi:66788}}

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

You can hand feed a Venus Flytrap a freshly killed insect if you have to, but they normally catch plenty on their own. In any case, the trick is that when the dead insect has been placed in the leaf, you must use a hair, string, needle, or other thin object to trip the trigger hairs inside the leaf until it closes, then leave it in so you can keep moving it across the trigger hairs several times after intial closure. Do that for about a minute then take the needle or hair out and the trap will slowly go into the narrowing phase where it closes tighter and seals up to begin digestion. Only use freshly killed insects for this as an insect that has been dead for over a few hours has begun to decompose and might rot the trap.

You definately have a Drosera adelae in that picture. Just follow tommyr's advice about the indirect, but strong, light and keep it watered with mineral free water and it will start producing dew again in a few days. It might have experienced humidity shock if your house has a lower humidity than where it was grown, so that often causes sundews to stop dewing for a couple of weeks. You might place a bag or dome over it and slowly remove it or punch holes in the cover every 3 days until it is no longer holding in humidity, then remove it after 2 weeks. That should help the plant recover and adapt to lower humidity if that is what occurred.

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

You can also capture then alive and then place in a container and put in the fridge to slow their metabolism down/knock them out. Then place the sleeping bug in the traps. When it warms up they wake up and struggle.

• poolboy101
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I thought it was true but im new to this.

That is a great idea to put them in the frig I never thought about that.

I just found a old UV light I used to use for a lizard i had a while ago and my sundew has rolled out a new leaf since I put the light on it. so I think it is doing good now. Thanks for the help

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

Just make sure the lizard light does not produce too much heat, being UV it is putting out a spectrum that is not complete and of a radiation spectrum that D. adelae tend not to receive as much of in the wild (partial or indirect sun). Florescent tend to be closer to actual sunlight, just a bit weaker in all aspects but a good 6000-12000 lumens are perfect for adelae in my experience.

Sponsored