Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmach_gw

Some input on this lighting setup (for VFTs)

jmach
15 years ago

I am considering putting my flytraps outside once I move up to school in a few weeks - the temperatures around here have been in the upper 80s - lower 90s for the last few days and generally they range from 60-100 degrees during the summer here. However, I really like having my flytraps as houseplants - and in hopes of having them grow better and attain better color, I want to replace my current 100W-equivelant CFL bulb.

Basically it's a structure that suspends two 24" fluorescent tubes above the plant at an adjustable height - it comes with two 20-watt AgroBrite tubes. Would this be something you would recommend?

Here is a link that might be useful: I'm looking at buying this

Comments (4)

• hiddenjungle
    15 years ago

I have no experience growing vfts with artificial lighting but if you acclimadate your plant it should grow fine outside, as long as you keep the soil moist. VFT's are usually found in terrariums in the houseplant section but should be outside out of the terariums in full sun to get best results. Many people that are new to cps find that they are fragile and must be kept in perfect conditions to keep it alive, but most people kill there plant trying to provide those conditions, no offence if you have past experience growing carnivorous plants. Cps that can be treated more like tropical house plants would be nepenthes, mexican butterworts and tropical sundews which would be the easiest to start out with, and would grow great under those conditions even though i dont use artificial lights to grow my plants, even indoors. Hope this helps. If you have more questions, all of my experience was learned through this website

Here is a link that might be useful: Sarracenia Northwest/ aka / Cobraplant.com

• mutant_hybrid
    15 years ago

In temperatures over 100 and in very arid environs you might have to try growing your North American plants indoors. This is never easy nor preferred. Two 24 inch tubes would not be enough for them. Place them under four 40 watt tubes 4 inches or less from the tubes. That would be the 48 inch florescent cool white shop light sets. I just use two of the twin mounts. Those tubes are 3000 lumens each, so a total of 12000 lumens is what you would have. I would also place the plants in a south facing window for as much window sun as you can get them. That would give your flytraps a fighting chance without full sunlight. Anything less is likely to ensure a slow and steady weakening of the plants until they die.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    15 years ago

I don't agree with growing CPs inside (except certain Sundews) but you'd be better off going to home depot or lowes and getting a normal 2 tube 4 foot shop light. Hang them by chains over the table. MUCH cheaper solution. The VFTs won't last long inside though.

• lemonsforchams
    15 years ago

Even better and cheaper, thought not as efficient on electrical usage, would be the incadescent , Sylvania, Spot Gro bulbs, in the 120 watt. They do put out heat, but are very intense and can be placed about 12''-14'' form the plant. they screw into typical ceramic clam lamps and the typically last 6 months or more. the Phillips versions are less reliable, IMO. You can get the Sylvanias at LOWES.

I have used these bulbs for years for everything from aquariums, reptiles, and citrus, to CPs and orchids. Not the perfect light, but if you need something to do a great job at providing the proper lighting and won't break the bank, they are the ticket.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths