Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jonocross

What would you call the crown jewels of the CP world?

jonocross
17 years ago

OK, I read recently a great topic of what's my favorite cp but that got me wondering. I'm pretty new to this stuff and I was looking for some oppinions on what you believe the most desired plants are. You don't have to own them already. I'm just wondering, If you had to choose 3-5 CPs that either you personally really wanted or you felt are the ones that everyone seems to want, what are they?

I'll post the first oppinion. :-) Personally, the three I really want right now are U. Gibba, N. Ramispina, and D. rotundifolia. None of those may be saught with wide eyed desire by most people but I've got my reasons for each one.

As far as what I believe to be the big crown jewels... n. Hamata, Cephalotus, N. Rajah, N. Aristolochioides. I'm sure there are tons more and I'm sure I've ignored a couple really good ones but now its your turn.

Comments (18)

• lindaflower
    17 years ago

How about this beauty; d. falconeri?

{{gwi:557598}}

How exquisite! I wish I had one!

• petiolaris
    17 years ago

Me too! I should sidle up to my old buddy, elgecko! Speaking of whom, I once got a stray seedling of a Drosophyllum from him - but killed it after a few months. This is a sought after species:

{{gwi:557599}}

I think Byblis liniflora is way cool!

{{gwi:548164}}

Gotta love pigmy sundews!

{{gwi:548171}}

These are a challenge:

{{gwi:430450}}

But this complex of sundews are my favorite - Petiolaris:

{{gwi:547132}}

• sarraceniahunter
    17 years ago

I like the Sarracenia hybrids. They come in such a wide range of shapes and colors.

Here is a link that might be useful: Backyard Bogs (The Natural Alternative)

• jonocross
    Original Author
    17 years ago

well, I was looking through some old posts and found one of my posts from a while back. Thought it might be worth a revisit. (besides, the pics above rock)

For the record, I now have a N. rajah, N. aristolochodies, and cephalotus. I also have to say, my ceph is one of my favorite plants to watch pitcher.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aracknight's Deadly Delights

• ilbasso_74
    17 years ago

At the moment I want the N mirandas that a local garden center is selling, but that is just because I can go visit them and actually see a nepenthes with a leaf as long as my forearm. I wouldn't have set out to get one though-at least not now.

I need a hamata one day and I wouldn't mind a heliamphora but that isn't a huge deal. For some reason, I really hope to snag a S.minor this season I'm not sure why I want that first, but I do. I doubt it'll happen, but we'll see.

I guess if the CP fairy could plop down and leave 3 plants right this second, they'd be 1. N hamata, 2. S minor (since the fairy is dropping it off let's go nuts and say an "Okee Giant") and a S x Extreme Unction. That last one is listed in The Savage Garden but I have no idea what it looks like. I just like the name and needed a third option.

Now, the crown jewels of my personal assortment are a little unusual. First, a S. Purpurea (I think the southern variety). It was one of those three plant cubes at Lowes and the pitchers were big but very floppy and unhealthy. It just woke up from its first winter and is going nuts by pitchering left and right. I'm proud of the rescue. There is a N sanguinea that has a similar story.

I also have a pot of cobras that came from Lowes this winter. It was too late to let them go dormant but they are loving the lights in my closet. I think there are something like 12 snakes that have popped up so far.

The N bicalcaratas haven't been too happy lately and have been a bit moody although one just opened a gorgeous pitcher. I like the species, so this is probably in my top 3 of my collection.

shutting up now...sometimes I just get to ramblin'

• nepenthesfreak_2007
    17 years ago

My 3 most wanted plants would probably be N. Jacquelineae, N. hamata, and Cephalotus giant form - They're selling it at equilibrio plants but its SOLD OUT!

• dravenxavier
    17 years ago

My big ones that I want are Nepenthes argentii and Utricularia quelchii. Plenty of others that I want, but those are the two 'wait and see' ones that I don't trust myself with yet haha.

• nepenthes_ceasar
    16 years ago

i want n. ventricosa "k" n. hamata, n. caesar, n. williamsii, n. merriliana, and n. ventricosa cream colored pitchers.

• nepentheswannabe
    14 years ago

Personally, I love N. hamata, aristolochioides, jamban, jaquelineae, Cephalotus, Heliamphora chimantensis, and Darlingtonia Californica. (I don't know what the big deal about darlingtonias being hard to grow is all about... I have them outside with all my sarrs and flytraps!)

• terrestrial_man
    14 years ago

ANY OF THE HELIAMPHORA SPECIES!!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Wistuba's Heliamphoras

• taz6122
    13 years ago

BUMP!

• buckcity
    13 years ago

Hey Taz, forgive me for being dense but what does that mean?

• taz6122
    13 years ago

Bumping a thread means moving it to the top. I thought we could use some cool pictures this time of year. Besides that there's a newbie asking questions that have already been answered and I want to bury them just like the newbie is burying good info that they could read instead of posting.

• Ilovetropicals
    12 years ago

i love my nepenthes jamban which is pretty sought oot also there in nepenthes hamata... and sarracenia northwest has both jamban and a hamata hybrid I always reccomend ordering from them... plus there poi dog nepenthes are on sale. they are unknown hybrids but beautiful anyways. i would love to have darlingtonia but they are so hard to grow. ive seen them in the wild. my dewy pine is amazing and that you have to remember is almost a desert plant. sarracenia northwest has care sheets and amazing dvd's for everything. the only pland i've ordered from them that died was a cephalotus because they are hard but check them out.

• Nepenthesbicalcarata
    9 years ago

My nepenthes edwardsiana, macrophylla, villosa

• fredsbog
    9 years ago

Does this Drosophyllum not look jewel studded? This thing comes up like a weed in all my other CP pots ;~)

• Paul MI
    9 years ago

Fred, feel free to send some of those weeds my way! LOL

I'd say the top three for me would be Cephalotus, Darlingtonia, and Drosphyllum. (The latter in part because I've read they have a sweet fragrance.)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz