Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agentrdy

Deer Problems

agentrdy
16 years ago

Hey guys;

I just wanted to introduce myself to this forum and perhaps get some advice on a bit of a problem that has been transpiring for some time now. I live in Georgia, and lately a pack of deer has basically stopped all production from my garden. No tomatoes, watermelons, etc... all eaten. A fence does not keep them out either. And now, to add insult to injury, last night one just nipped the top off of one of my Sarracenia flava leaves and yanked it from the rhizome. Two questions; I see a bit of the white rhizome still attached (it's a little C-shaped section at the end of the leaf)... would it be possible to get it to root with just that much? I haven't any pictures, unfortunately. Also, has anyone else had a problem with deer being hungry for carnivorous plants and, if so, any suggestions? I appreciate any advice and wanted to also say that the knowledge and courtesy of everyone here makes this forum a very valuable resource!!

Comments (4)

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

Hello agentrdy,

Usually Sarracenias need about an inch of rhizome to root when cuttings are taken, however, you never know. You might try it and see if it grows back. I can only grow mine indoors for now, so mine are hungry for the light, but it is a tradeoff between inside protection and outside full sun for the North American plants.

Here is a link to a study conducted on deer repellents and their effects.

http://www.walnutcouncil.org/deer_repellent_study.htm

One of the better results of the study involved fencing of up to 48 inches. In this case, if you only have a few plants to protect, you could create individual barriers of chicken wire around each plant. If you have a larger plot to protect, you might erect a fence and use a variety of the other methods to run the deer off. Another thing that was not covered as far as I can see is moving objects and noisemakers. You might try some form of scarecrow type of trick, like a plastic wolf that moves in a breeze. Add some real dog hair to the scarecrow and it would even smell like a real animal to skiddish deer. Find their trail and lay those tricks along it and they might try to find some other place to get a buffet.

• rumbum
    16 years ago

You need an electric fence around your garden if you want to keep the deer out. I have not had anything else work. Of course, I suppose it depends on how hungry are your deer? I think CP's are especially yummy to animals - my cat just loves them. ;)

• dnieter
    16 years ago

Only a few more months to turn those rampaging ungulates into tenderloin! Wonder if Sarracenia-fed venison tastes different?

• clay_in_iowa
    16 years ago

I'm reforesting 10 acres previouosly had huge problems with those giant horned rats. One thing I tried that worked very well, for small areas, was to cut 4' X 8' pieces of metal concrete reinforcing wire, the stuff that looks like a fence, in half. Bend it into a tent shape and lay it on the ground, like a tent, around your plants. Deer will NOT stand in it and feed. In fact I find they stumble into it at night and it spooks them sufficiently to keep them away from most of my yard. It's really works well if you have an extra piece or two and you move it around from time to time. The deer have a really hard time seeing it and they just keep running into it. Eventually they learn to stay away.

It's low profile so it's not really ugly to look at and easy to move when you mow. I've found it to be 100% affective for protecting small areas, like a single tree or a few pots.

Unfortunately for the reforested area of my property, almost 7 acres, I've had to resort to throwing hot lead at the critters. There are 5,000+ seedling trees in that area and they just will not go away. They even jump a multi-strand electric fence I installed.