Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carnivoor

cinnamon?

carnivoor
15 years ago

I thought I read here somewhere to use cinnamon to get rid of funguns on the plants or on soil. What do I do with the cinnamon, do I just put some of it on an affected spot?

It is only a small patch for now but I don't want it to get bigger.(it's in one of my containers with seedlings)

Comments (7)

• icenine
    15 years ago

I used cinnamon once, a long time ago. I covered the whole of the pot with a thin layer of the stuff. From what i remember, it didnt help the plants one little bit.
    The best thing for fungus would be some sorta sulfur-based fungicide, which is safe on CPs.
    Try the cinnamon, if you want, i could have done it wrong or been unlucky with it.

• petiolaris
    15 years ago

Sprinkle cinnamon on the surface and/or manually remove the mold.

• carnivoor
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks guys/girls.
    I do have sulfur in the house .I bought it years ago because someone said it would help with fungus. So I went to a chemist's and told her what I needed and why. But when I opened it later on there were no instructions on how to use it. Some people told me to put some in a saucer and put the saucer next to the plant with fungus , others told me to spray it over the plant(I tried that, it died).
    So now the little container has been sitting there for a couple of years without being used because I'm not sure what to do with it.

• carnivoor
    Original Author
    15 years ago

When you put seed/moss mixture in the fridge to give the seeds their cold period,would it be helpfull to put some cinnamon in the mix to avoid fungus forming?
    Would living s-moss do a better job to stop fungus creeping in?

• kefka666
    15 years ago

Although the key ingredient in cinnamon bark, cinnamaldehyde, is a good fungicide, you should limit the amount you use. Cinnamon bark contains traces of iron, calcium, manganese, and probably additional trace minerals which your plant may not appreciate.

• carnivoor
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My last batch of Sarr. seeds I had in the fridge ,I put in some rainwater to pick them out of the moss they were in. This way it was easier to put them on top of the mixture I wanted to plant them in. I guess if I do this again with future seeds I might try a little cinnamon in the fridge mix , it would be washed off before I plant them.

• orchidguyftl
    15 years ago

Cinnamon can work really well if you use enough
    be very careful of sulfur bases fungicides if you have your plants with orchids, sulfer based fungicides will kill some species/genus of orchids, like dendrobiums and the catasetum alliance

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus