Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nepenthes Alata

Posted by a_roid (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 8, 10 at 10:36

Hey, Just looking for some insight on a problem I have.
I bought this Nepenthes Alata last fall, and hung it in a North Facing window. It did GREAT! It had a ton of pitchers and was thriving. During winter, the pitchers died off, it would try to produce more, but they would always shrivel up before fully forming. I attributed this to the low humidity fro the furnace being on. When Spring came around, I put it outside, in indirect sun, repotted it in peat and bark mix, kept it moist, and eagerly anticipated hundreds of pitchers being thrown off. It has made two in the very early part of spring, and now seems to not be growing at all. It is not dieing, just not growing. I live in Ky and the humidity is high in the Ohio valley, it is like a jungle here most days. Why has it gone dormant, and how can I jump start it to produce pitchers again?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Aaron

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nepenthes Alata

Hortus Botanicus has a fertilizer for sale called Epiphyte's Delight; I use it and it seems to help.
< http://www.hortusb.com/epde.html >

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here